A thread for the umps...what would you do’s, oddball plays, war stories

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Tale of two coaches, same game:

Coach 1: “How can you ring her up on that, that’s 4 inches [oddly specific and really not a lot] outside!!!!!”

Coach 2: Pulls player aside “Hey, I am a pitcher. That’s a pitchers pitch, she hit a spot. Maybe, maybe it’s off, But with 2 strikes you have to get that. Foul it off, whatever. But that’s too close”
Classic!

Jun 22, 2019
You don't have to put up with that if it goes on - comments like “he’s got to give you one eventually” or “I guess we should put it on a tee” are clearly arguing balls and strikes. Just because he thinks he is 'clever' because he is 'talking to the pitcher' and not you directly actually doesn't matter (and he will try to argue this). He is very clearly verbally and loudly arguing balls and strikes even if he is trying to get away with it by doing it indirectly.

Arguing balls and strikes is so Bush league. It teaches the girls to fuss about strike zones. I always told my girls it’s not their job to call balls and strikes, their job is to adjust to the umps strike zone better than the other team.

My pet peeve is a pitcher that makes a gesture or face on the rubber after they think the umpire missed the call. This means they aren't adjusting to the umps zone…they are still trying to pitch to their zone.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
My pet peeve is a pitcher that makes a gesture or face on the rubber after they think the umpire missed the call. This means they aren't adjusting to the umps zone…they are still trying to pitch to their zone.

Or they threw a pitch in the exact spot where they threw the last four strikes and this time it was a ball.

Or they threw a pitch practically down the middle and didn't get the call when the opposing team's pitcher literally hit the plate with a pitch twice in the last inning and got called strikes.

Might not have anything to do with adjusting, though it's probably a good idea to learn to control the reaction.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Have a game on DVD that have handed out for people to watch and they have told me they put tape on the TV screen to try and show how the umpire had missed calls during the game.
Same spot was a strike, same spot was a ball, same spot with a strike, same spot was a ball.
Lol 😏 very technical analysis but people peeve about that, enough to put tape on a TV screen. 🙂

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Arguing balls and strikes is so Bush league. It teaches the girls to fuss about strike zones. I always told my girls it’s not their job to call balls and strikes, their job is to adjust to the umps strike zone better than the other team.

The assumption here is that the umpire actually has a consistent and predictable strike zone to adjust to.

Might not be true.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
I earned a ton of umping karma points today, with a 10u rec game, 8u machine pitch game, and 10u travel game.

I hit the cricket trifecta - in all three games a batter hit fair a pitch that bounced before the plate.

On the first pitch of the 10u rec game, the pitch thrown behind the batter hit her bat and went fair. Pretty much set the tone for the day.

May 29, 2015
Bonus convo with an 8u “pitcher”:

Me: What are you doing after the game?

Her: oh, I’m going to a sheep rodeo, and I’m going to see Hocus Pocus 2.

Me: there’s no way you’re doing both of those things today

Her: oh yeah. They’re at the same place…

Me:

OK, fine ... I'll be that guy ...

WHY ARE YOU ASKING AN 8U PITCHER WHAT SHE IS DOING AFTER THE GAME?!!!???!!!

And isn't an 8u game basically a sheep rodeo, magic show, and quasi-horror film for small children all in one?

Apr 1, 2017
Interesting ending to Cardinals vs Reds game just now. Cardinals baserunner at 3rd run a diagonal from a few feet foul to a few feet fair to block the throw from 3B to home. Ball bounces of baserunner and Cards win 1-0. Apparently legal, but seems wrong….

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812