A thread for the umps...what would you do’s, oddball plays, war stories

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2020
I’m not sure how you correlate early calls with biased calls but, that being said, you more likely have an umpire getting caught up in the action and letting his anticipation override his tempo. Umpires are trained to hold their calls until the completion of the play. Newer umpires have a tendency to react too quickly and often make their calls before the play is complete leading to the dreaded out-safe-out scenario. Not to say that veteran umpires are immune to hurrying calls but you find it happening less often with seasoned umpires. Just about every one of us has, on occasion , reminded ourselves to Stop-Set-Focus-HOLD then Call after making a call too quickly. It’s not a matter of bias, it’s a matter of poor mechanics.

I was referring to perceived bias, we all know how riled up parents get with "bad" calls against their team, especially if a couple of the calls go against them in succession. When an early call is made it sets up the argument that the umpire already decided to favor the team for which he made the call and no amount of hustle or quality was going to affect the call. The most egregious example of this that I've seen was a girl hustling out of the box, and a shortstop gunning a throw to second, bang-bang could go either way, problem was BU had signaled safe two full steps before the runner had reached first, the defensive parents were irate because of perceived bias. Later BU made a similar call on another bang-bang play at first where he called an out but the 1B in the process of scooping the ball popped it up in from of her and snagged it out of the air, problem was runner's foot hit the bag at the same time the ball made initial contact with the glove, not when it was controlled, the call was in favor of the same team as before. Fortunately he eventually overturned it after discussing with PU. This is where having experienced Umps who know that there is no rush to make a call and allow for the odd bobble, or a quick mental replay really is a wonderful thing. Even in MLB the Umpires have slowed down their calls, probably because they don't want the embarrassment of the play being overturned by replay.

Oct 11, 2018
Did a DH scrimmage today. Pay at the plate. At 1st game, home coach comes to plate and hands me cash. I never look at it or count it but always ask, do I owe you any change. Coach says No, its good. I turn to the visitor coach and he says, I don't carry cash, I'll Venmo you after the game.

Uh, No coach. doesn't work that way. You can pass the hat to your parents. Lot of singles and $5s, but walked away with cash.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
Did a DH scrimmage today. Pay at the plate. At 1st game, home coach comes to plate and hands me cash. I never look at it or count it but always ask, do I owe you any change. Coach says No, its good. I turn to the visitor coach and he says, I don't carry cash, I'll Venmo you after the game.

Uh, No coach. doesn't work that way. You can pass the hat to your parents. Lot of singles and $5s, but walked away with cash.

heh. I did DH today, home HC paid the total. Gave me a $20 and a $100, and said “you don’t have a black light to check that hundo do you?...eh, better use it at the Cumberland to get your six pack as soon as we’re done”

Aug 25, 2019
Something for my fellow umpires here, not really a story, but something annoyed me tonight. I asked my assigner to schedule me opposite my DD's games so I can watch her (she in afternoon, so morning would be good) And to partner me up with someone. He says ok, no problem. SO what does he do?....Schedule me the same time as DD"s games in a park miles away, and by myself. Now I'm undecided on what to do. Do I just suck it up and take the games to help him out, or say screw that, I'm not working them, and risk getting on his bad side? I umpire because I like it, not really for the money.
And speaking of money, I asked him to partner me up because of the fee. We get $55 when we are partnered up, $60 for a game by ourselves, and these are 12U, 10U games. I've worked by myself before, and I really don't mind it, but it's the principle of the thing. Why would I want to do all the work and put up with all the nonsense for only $5 more a game? The guy who runs these tournaments charges every team in every division the same price, but he only supplies 2 umpires for 18u, 16u, and mostly 14u, never 12u or 10u. It probably is due to umpire shortages, but then why charge those bottom teams the same price and only give them one umpire and pocket the rest of the fee that should go to a 2nd umpire?....I say if we work by ourselves, we should get time and a half ($82.50). Anyone have this pay scale where you work?

Dec 15, 2018
CT
Something for my fellow umpires here, not really a story, but something annoyed me tonight. I asked my assigner to schedule me opposite my DD's games so I can watch her (she in afternoon, so morning would be good) And to partner me up with someone. He says ok, no problem. SO what does he do?....Schedule me the same time as DD"s games in a park miles away, and by myself. Now I'm undecided on what to do. Do I just suck it up and take the games to help him out, or say screw that, I'm not working them, and risk getting on his bad side? I umpire because I like it, not really for the money.
And speaking of money, I asked him to partner me up because of the fee. We get $55 when we are partnered up, $60 for a game by ourselves, and these are 12U, 10U games. I've worked by myself before, and I really don't mind it, but it's the principle of the thing. Why would I want to do all the work and put up with all the nonsense for only $5 more a game? The guy who runs these tournaments charges every team in every division the same price, but he only supplies 2 umpires for 18u, 16u, and mostly 14u, never 12u or 10u. It probably is due to umpire shortages, but then why charge those bottom teams the same price and only give them one umpire and pocket the rest of the fee that should go to a 2nd umpire?....I say if we work by ourselves, we should get time and a half ($82.50). Anyone have this pay scale where you work?

Depending on your relationship with him, I'd probably shoot him a note (or call), saying "hey Steve, I see you put me on the 3pm game in Nowheresburg. My DD is actually playing at that time, and I'd like to watch her if I can. If there's any chance for a switch, let me know." I wouldn't be passive / aggressive and say "like i told you before, my DD is playing...".

As for the second part. Around here, the only games with 2 umps are usually semi's and finals of tournaments. That's just the way it is. And we get paid the same whether alone or partnered (the orgs get charged based on the number they use - 1 or 2). If I was an org getting charged the same whether I got 1 or 2 I'd be pretty pissed if I only got 1.

To me, working alone or partnered is still the same amount of work, so I'm ok getting paid the same for both. I get what you mean though if the org is getting charged for 2.

Jul 22, 2015
Depending on your relationship with him, I'd probably shoot him a note (or call), saying "hey Steve, I see you put me on the 3pm game in Nowheresburg. My DD is actually playing at that time, and I'd like to watch her if I can. If there's any chance for a switch, let me know." I wouldn't be passive / aggressive and say "like i told you before, my DD is playing...".

As for the second part. Around here, the only games with 2 umps are usually semi's and finals of tournaments. That's just the way it is. And we get paid the same whether alone or partnered (the orgs get charged based on the number they use - 1 or 2). If I was an org getting charged the same whether I got 1 or 2 I'd be pretty pissed if I only got 1.

To me, working alone or partnered is still the same amount of work, so I'm ok getting paid the same for both. I get what you mean though if the org is getting charged for 2.
I understand that it's not a huge difference in the amount of work, but as long as umpires accept it I can't see tournament directors doing anything other than shifting everything to 1 umpire. I certainly don't think that's good for anyone except those who profit from it. If 2 umpires would be paid $100-110 there just isn't any reason 1 umpire should get less than $75. If just one or two tournaments in an area had to cancel because they couldn't get umpires I bet it would change quickly.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
Had a play at the plate last night. Catcher leaps for a high throw from F5, makes blind swipe tag - I clearly see and hear the tip of the glove get a fold of the jersey on the runners back. Sold big out call "tag, on the jersey, out!" Hear runner say "no, she never tagged me", and the catcher run off and giggle "I didn't touch her".

Had a brief self-doubting moment. But I saw and heard it so clearly (I think that because she nicked the jersey neither of them felt it). Her pitcher said "oh no Cait, you got her, I heard it."

Was just one of those weird moments when you know you got it right, but because of the player reaction there was just that momentary doubt.

Jan 5, 2018
PNW
I don't ump....and I certainly appreciate those who do...so thank you.

Reading this I'm wondering....maybe the TD doesn't over charge the 10/12U's because they only have 1 ump or under charge the upper levels when they have two. Could it be they just budget X dollars for umpires and then amortize the costs across the whole tournament entry fees? Knowing that 2 umps will be in the upper ages and semi/finals for all ages?

Sometimes I don't think the TD's/Tournaments are really having a money grab.....and then there are those that do....

Glad you got your games switched to see DD.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802