9 year old pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2019
Been working with her for the past 9 months now she’s getting some classes from a college pitcher, my time to relax on the other side of fence, comments and suggestions are welcome

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
Overall, I think she looks really good, especially for 9 years old. Getting started the right way is so important and so much easier than trying to unlearn poor mechanics later.

A few things jumped out to me:

1. Coming down the back side of the circle, it looks like the ball is pretty close to being pointed toward second base. This will lead to pushing the ball rather than whipping it. After she shows the ball to the catcher between 12 to 11 o’clock make sure the ball stays oriented toward third base. Some say lead with the elbow or lead with the pinkie finger.

2. Related to #1, her arm is stick straight coming down the backside of the circle. By 2 o’clock her arm should have a bend in it (with 135 degrees being perhaps an ideal) and she needs to keep this bend until her upper arm compresses on her torso at about 8 o’clock. This will allow for a great deal of arm whip and facilitate brush contact.

3. Her upper body/lower body are becoming a bit disconnected. This is sometimes called “monkey butt”. You never want her shoulders out past her hips. She needs to maintain a tall, stacked posture throughout the motion. “Monkey butting”—probably in an effort to clear the hips—also makes it very difficult, if not impossible to get brush contact.

These above issues will be works in progress. They are also issues that are not uncommon even among older and more experienced pitchers. I would recommend working a lot of arm whip progressions—with and without a ball—into a tarp from a close distance. Focus on keeping the bend in the arm, 3rd base hand orientation after coming over the top, a tall posture, and contact with the meat of the forearm and hip/upper thigh every time.

Jun 24, 2019
thanks, this is her second practice with her and trying to change some of her old habits, she’s got homework from her pitching coach wich means she has to do “dry” pitching during the day and before practice , but work in progress !!!
Overall, I think she looks really good, especially for 9 years old. Getting started the right way is so important and so much easier than trying to unlearn poor mechanics later.

A few things jumped out to me:

1. Coming down the back side of the circle, it looks like the ball is pretty close to being pointed toward second base. This will lead to pushing the ball rather than whipping it. After she shows the ball to the catcher between 12 to 11 o’clock make sure the ball stays oriented toward third base. Some say lead with the elbow or lead with the pinkie finger.

2. Related to #1, her arm is stick straight coming down the backside of the circle. By 2 o’clock her arm should have a bend in it (with 135 degrees being perhaps an ideal) and she needs to keep this bend until her upper arm compresses on her torso at about 8 o’clock. This will allow for a great deal of arm whip and facilitate brush contact.

3. Her upper body/lower body are becoming a bit disconnected. This is sometimes called “monkey butt”. You never want her shoulders out past her hips. She needs to maintain a tall, stacked posture throughout the motion. “Monkey butting”—probably in an effort to clear the hips—also makes it very difficult, if not impossible to get brush contact.

These above issues will be works in progress. They are also issues that are not uncommon even among older and more experienced pitchers. I would recommend working a lot of arm whip progressions—with and without a ball—into a tarp from a close distance. Focus on keeping the bend in the arm, 3rd base hand orientation after coming over the top, a tall posture, and contact with the meat of the forearm and hip/upper thigh every time.

Mar 6, 2016
My advice to YOU.. as a Dad of 2 DD "who's been there done that."...

Take up meditation
Start listening to relaxing earth sounds or Yanni or even Kenny G
Learn the true meaning of "patience". I mean REALLY understand what that word means.
Learn to like sitting in the OF or even in your car during games.
Wear earplugs in your ears when you sit with other parents in the stands.
Always tell your DD she did AWESOME...especially after she walked EVERY hitter she faced.
Oh...and splurge a little on yourself now while you still have $$ and get a really nice, spongy, soft bucket top to sit your butt on for the hours upon HOURS you will sit while catching her bullpens.

😵😀😜👍🙈

You're welcome...you can thank me later in about 4 years. 😀 Enjoy!!!

Jun 24, 2019
My advice to YOU.. as a Dad of 2 DD "who's been there done that."...

Take up meditation
Start listening to relaxing earth sounds or Yanni or even Kenny G
Learn the true meaning of "patience". I mean REALLY understand what that word means.
Learn to like sitting in the OF or even in your car during games.
Wear earplugs in your ears when you sit with other parents in the stands.
Always tell your DD she did AWESOME...especially after she walked EVERY hitter she faced.
Oh...and splurge a little on yourself now while you still have $$ and get a really nice, spongy, soft bucket top to sit your butt on for the hours upon HOURS you will sit while catching her bullpens.

😵😀😜👍🙈

You're welcome...you can thank me later in about 4 years. 😀 Enjoy!!!
Lol I invested on a nice hunting chair it’s a little tripod and it’s nice and comfortable for now, it’s been a long journey I still remember the first pitching class we had she couldn’t even spin her arm right ! I am so proud of her ! I also have a 4 year old that goes and see her when she’s practicing and mimics her !! Lol

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
it looks like she has her front foot too closed off. The puts a lot of side pressure on the knee. Here is a couple of my kids as an exampl.

Attachments

• 4DA5FCEB-D93B-48F0-A1E1-BE257D1DDA38.png
    4DA5FCEB-D93B-48F0-A1E1-BE257D1DDA38.png
    524 KB · Views: 23
  • 725E53D1-2254-43BD-A123-689E6F9043DF.png
    725E53D1-2254-43BD-A123-689E6F9043DF.png
    849.1 KB · Views: 24
  • C8606DB9-C98E-44E4-A7A5-F2754062FE45.png
    C8606DB9-C98E-44E4-A7A5-F2754062FE45.png
    957.7 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Members online