6u AC week 3

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I have an honest question I do not think there is a real solution but maybe there is a baby step.

Are there any changes that could be made to help?

Maybe the Norway model? https://www.childrensdayton.org/the-hub/norway-model-youth-sports

For 6U softball, the emphasis should be on learning the mechanics of the game.

1. No scoreboard. The scoreboard is only for the parents. The kids have no idea what it is for.
2. Every kid bats every inning.
3. No umpire.
4. No catcher. (At this age level, the catcher is basically a wicket.)

Jun 8, 2016
Good luck..

Baseball at those ages is, amazingly enough, worse..8 father “coaches” in the dugout/on the field all with dreams of their kid being the next Mike Trout. Arguing, parents getting on umps (many of whom are not old enough to drive..), kids getting yelled at when they cannot even tie their own shoes yet..not good.

I made the mistake of offering to do GC (🙄)for my DS’s 8u rec team (they play a few tournaments every season) and I am regretting it already as I am now forced to sit amongst the crazies..I actually said I couldn’t do it one game and hid in the car to watch..

DS still enjoys playing with his teammates but man being around all of it is almost too much to take for somebody who is easily annoyed by stupidity. This is coming from somebody who, at times, was a bit too hard on his DD when she was slightly older than this…

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2021
Have you seen the movie All Stars?

I saw that movie based on a recommendation on this site and it is hilarious. We have debated making it required viewing material for all parents before their kids are allowed to play. Just might emphasize ahead of time how foolish some of them look out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 4, 2018
Good luck..

Baseball at those ages is, amazingly enough, worse..8 father “coaches” in the dugout/on the field all with dreams of their kid being the next Mike Trout. Arguing, parents getting on umps (many of whom are not old enough to drive..), kids getting yelled at when they cannot even tie their own shoes yet..not good.

I made the mistake of offering to do GC (🙄)for my DS’s 8u rec team (they play a few tournaments every season) and I am regretting it already as I am now forced to sit amongst the crazies..I actually said I couldn’t do it one game and hid in the car to watch..

DS still enjoys playing with his teammates but man being around all of it is almost too much to take for somebody who is easily annoyed by stupidity. This is coming from somebody who, at times, was a bit too hard on his DD when she was slightly older than this…

The day my son told me he wanted to quit 8U rec baseball was one of the best days of my life.

Jun 8, 2016
The day my son told me he wanted to quit 8U rec baseball was one of the best days of my life.
I am sure the craziness probably didn't help with his love of the game. My current DS coaches are actually not too bad in general. Crazy is bad for any age, but at an age where they are still learning to love the game, it is especially bad. Once they hit the teens they probably have developed enough of a love of the game where they can overcome any nutjob behavior..

Oct 4, 2018
I am sure the craziness probably didn't help with his love of the game. My current DS coaches are actually not too bad in general. Crazy is bad for any age, but at an age where they are still learning to love the game, it is especially bad. Once they hit the teens they probably have developed enough of a love of the game where they can overcome any nutjob behavior..

Yup, the coaches were expecting these 8 year old rec boys to be flawless. And yelling at them if not. They drove many boys to other sports.

My son plays tennis now as his main sport.

Jun 8, 2016
Yup, the coaches were expecting these 8 year old rec boys to be flawless. And yelling at them if not. They drove many boys to other sports.

My son plays tennis now as his main sport.
I am glad he found something he enjoys.

I played tennis with my Mom once when I was probably 9 or 10. Even though I never watched tennis, my impersonation of John McEnroe was impeccable. She never took me to play again..

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802