6 Tips for More Successful Bunts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
This VVVV is funny!
If you teach dropping the bat at/behind the plate to “be in the way of the catcher”, there is no hope for you. I am sorry for your unfortunate upbringing.

Dec 11, 2010
B3B8F3BC-615F-4720-B1B2-E5B14BD33FD2.jpeg
15C77A16-2FC7-46C6-A599-B9A8B26521D9.jpeg
Found this while looking for other pics, what she does prob isn’t what we should be teaching younger players….

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2019
Please add this to the list:

Drop the bat outside the foul line. If this is taught early it takes zero time and prevents much and many super stupid outcomes. This is such a painless coaching point.

If you teach dropping the bat at/behind the plate to “be in the way of the catcher”, there is no hope for you. I am sorry for your unfortunate upbringing. Enjoy the outs these kids will make whether they deserve them or not.

Another one: Emphasize to hitters to get it fair. The first time.

If the player isn’t getting it fair, tell them to bunt it harder. It doesn’t need to drop “perfectly” in front of the plate. It has to be fair. Quit fooling around deadening the ball.

And every player should know that bunting it back to a LHP isn’t a bad idea most of the time.
I have them drop the bat right in front of the plate. Creates an obstacle that the catcher has to negotiate with

Dec 11, 2021
I have them drop the bat right in front of the plate. Creates an obstacle that the catcher has to negotiate with
Might want to check the rules. USA Softball Rule 8-F-5: "The batter-runner is out when the batter-runner interferes with (a fielder) by discarding their bat in a manner that prevents the defense from making a play on the ball"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802