.580 then .188

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Oooops player made a bad big change.

To get discussion going heres a starting point.
These are #'s to consider toward conversation.

At what point are number stats enough to say this is working let's keep using it.
+.350

At what point make a small tweak is neccesary.

At what point big change needed.

Discussion around at some point what works should be continued to gain even better consistency, confidence, strength and speed within it.
Or
Is there a frame of mind that nothing is good enough and it should always be tweaked?

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Most (not all) players I see still playing 14U and 16U in So Cal have good/workable swings. Once a pitcher is throwing 60 plus and player has a bad or flawed swing their playing days are numbered. In order to improve the average players hitting results IMO, they would be better off working on and understand their approach and the mental side of hitting. Breathing, relaxing, visualizing, simply seeing the ball, learning (faking) confidence, getting in the zone become much more important than where their elbow is at heel plant. There are great hitter with elbows in all different positions. What really separates the good from the great is the mental side of the game.

.350 plus. Not changing much. Maybe if she is struggling with certain location or pitch then work on that. Work situations. Driving outside pitch to the right side. Keep working on mental side.
.250-. Something might a little off. Going to video and see if it can be detected. Little tweak (ie. start with hands a little higher) or TRY a new swing thought or feel. Keep working mental side.
.200-. If player has always been a .200- hitter then something is wrong and she needs a new coach/system. Fresh start. Going to take a lot of commitment.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Most (not all) players I see still playing 14U and 16U in So Cal have good/workable swings. Once a pitcher is throwing 60 plus and player has a bad or flawed swing their playing days are numbered. In order to improve the average players hitting results IMO, they would be better off working on and understand their approach and the mental side of hitting. Breathing, relaxing, visualizing, simply seeing the ball, learning (faking) confidence, getting in the zone become much more important than where their elbow is at heel plant. There are great hitter with elbows in all different positions. What really separates the good from the great is the mental side of the game.

.350 plus. Not changing much. Maybe if she is struggling with certain location or pitch then work on that. Work situations. Driving outside pitch to the right side. Keep working on mental side.
.250-. Something might a little off. Going to video and see if it can be detected. Little tweak (ie. start with hands a little higher) or TRY a new swing thought or feel. Keep working mental side.
.200-. If player has always been a .200- hitter then something is wrong and she needs a new coach/system. Fresh start. Going to take a lot of commitment.
Good read! 👍

To the point of mental side of the game.
Which is a really good point there
@Rolling Hard!.

*think stability in consistency builds confidence.
Which would be the opposite of changing things and being uncertain.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Depends on your goal.

If you want to play college, then you must work towards a high level pattern. Your youth averages mean nothing.
Does batting average help dictate anything for you?

Agree high level pattern.
(meaning consistantly say +.300)
Not certain tho that is only a college # tho.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Learned the hard way to not tweak during games just leave them alone and cheer. DD is what she is when she gets out of the car.

Off days, she is mine. Never needed too but I would not have hesitated make a big change during the season, we did with pitching one year. It worked out OK.

DD played fall ball, for us it was no standings and pretty flexible rules. Sure you want to win but it was also time to let them experiment.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
To batting average, never cared too much about it.

If you are hitting the ball hard in practice you are getting a good spot in batting order. Some years hitters have extremely bad luck.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
If you are hitting the ball hard in practice you are getting a good spot in batting order. Some years hitters have extremely bad luck.
Thanks for discussing!

That adds an interesting Avenue to the discussion. Because is hitting in games different when there's an umpire? Or Pressure?
Different than off a machine.
Does that make game stats more relevant?

Like live pitching at practices...think its a fantastic resource to train and plan games with!
But unfortunetly not always a resource used.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
You have me backtracking on my post a little bit.

I have had players that have hit better in practice then games and visa versa. It does come into the decision process.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812