4 Most Important hitting drills for HS players

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Soft/side toss will screw up your swing. It's the devil. :)

This will create an arms only swing. You are not trying to make the swing 'quicker'. You are trying to make it faster.
Lol had know idea anyone took issue with side toss,
Been successful with it for decades. 👍💯

ANY swing, drill or practice can create unwanted effects.

Think with anything done doing it correctly is more important than just doing it.

That is where quality time is better than sloppy time!

It comes down to either proper supervision of the player athlete, and or, the responsibilities of the player athlete to be able to acknowledge and recognize their own performance and make adjustments.

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Oh and BTW
👉Once a hitting thread starts talking about 'particular mechanics' it is no longer about everyone's hitting...
it becomes about the particulars that people would prefer and may not work for everybody.

Which is a really good point to be made about what hitting drills are good ones or not. Because some work well for some mechanics but are really bad for other mechanics.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Ldcnija.gif

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Why would anyone do a drill that has unwanted effects?

Most hitting drills are destructive, or backwards, and should not be done - at all.
It happens ... but I know there are hitting drills I would never do. See coaches that have their players doing a hitting drill that goes completely opposite of what they are saying to the player.
Maybe there's just some 'sorta-self-educated' and followers that don't think things through for themselves...
possibly maybe could be.

Apr 23, 2020
SE Wisconsin
View attachment 23984

The swing on the right is the quickest. The swing on the left (like Teddy's) is the fastest - that's the one you want.

But the main reason you dont want soft/side/drop toss is that is reinforces a no stride, arms-only swing, which produces weak grounders.

Don't do any full swing drills that do not have a stride element.
The bolded statement sparked a thought for me because I think I have witnessed this to some extent. So perhaps the toss should be slightly delayed to allow the hitter to achieve a good load / stretch.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
We want sudden swings. Wave crashing, over the water fall, rollercoaster. Energy built up and released suddenly.

Im pretty sure that’s what ‘quick’ is.

edit: maybe not. A wave takes a long time to crash. A roller coaster is kinda slow at acceleration. The short to part of the swing is the quick part. When the hands come forward.

1633446807836.gif

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
View attachment 23984

The swing on the right is the quickest. The swing on the left (like Teddy's) is the fastest - that's the one you want.

But the main reason you dont want soft/side/drop toss is that is reinforces a no stride, arms-only swing, which produces weak grounders.

Don't do any full swing drills that do not have a stride element.
Drills can only reinforce what the individual is doing with them.
Without the explanation with the specific drill, people make up there own reasons.

For example i dont know why the person on the right is doing that.
But imo that is an ugly example of whatever...
Unless chopping a tree maybe...

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802