4 Most Important hitting drills for HS players

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Batting T: On a knee with one-hand bat then with regular bat, then standing straight on, high, low, inside, outside
Soft Toss (angled): Middle, high, low, inside, outside
Front Toss: Middle, high, low, inside, outside...with a portion using batting counts and scoring contact (out vs hit).
Pitching Machine: Emphasize a particular location...vary speeds...also use batting counts and score the quality of hit.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
You make interesting comments. What would you suggest for HS pre-game warmups? We do tee work, soft toss, TCB balls, front toss for bunting. My goal is to get the kids loose, but I would like to hear what you suggest. I do question the effectiveness. Many kids seem to go through the motions. The reason I ask is that once our season starts we typically play every night of the week with almost no days for practice. Incorporating effective drills into pre-game warm-ups is my goal.

I would say that, unless you have something specific you want your HS players working on, to not do any drills as part of a warmup. I think a routine/progression is fine, other than the soft toss (though I also understand with limited space you might not have a choice). I'd replace the soft toss (which I assume is from the side; maybe we're thinking of different things) with front toss using Lite Flites or something similar that won't travel far/be a danger to the pitcher.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Drills are important if you know how the swing works. Nothing wrong with drills

Why isn’t a tee a drill? Or side toss or front toss. Their all actually backwards chaining.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
The load

some motion to get the middle primed and mobile. This is probably the most important part to learn. Learn a stable rear leg so you can harness/control the energy from the middle. If you can control your energy you can time a moving ball. A lot will clean up if the middle moves you.

1633536334005.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478