4 Most Important hitting drills for HS players

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 13, 2015
So, what are your thoughts on what you feel are the 4 most important hitting drills for HS age players....not sure if this question has been posted before but if so, let's discuss again....thanks!

Sep 10, 2021
Bp practice,, soft toss for muscle memory,, tee work working front of the plate inside and middle on the direct front of the plate and back outside.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
So, what are your thoughts on what you feel are the 4 most important hitting drills for HS age players....not sure if this question has been posted before but if so, let's discuss again....thanks!
Not certain what would be different for HS as simply could be mixture of talent levels.

A competent swing should work on
Directional hitting with soft toss & off live pitching and/or machine.
Center, left, right fields.

Purposely hitting
Grounders
Long fly balls

Work on pitch locations.
Can do this with soft toss also.

Bat control
Bat control
Bat control
🦇🦇🦇🦇🦇🎃

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2019
I daughter's hitting coach has a son who is a very high level player and an excellent hitter.

All the son ever did was just hit, no tees, just live pitching.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

work on the ‘load’ of the swing. Work opposite field hitting. After those are competent, work on angle toss, when adequate work from a 3 different plate distance drill for timing.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
For HS, any swings that really focus on that players proper technique. Tee, focusing on insides and outsides, side toss, front toss.. That's it! you only need three!

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
work on the ‘load’ of the swing. Work opposite field hitting. After those are competent, work on angle toss, when adequate work from a 3 different plate distance drill for timing.
IMO, I find this to be pure gold in transferring to a pitched ball. There is often a big drop off between tee swings and a pitched ball.
My progression
1. Dry swing.
2. Tee swings.
3. Flips or angled toss.
4. simulated pitching machine
5. Front toss
6. live BP

Here is an example of the angled toss we do.

Sorry, more than 4…

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
IMO, I find this to be pure gold in transferring to a pitched ball. There is often a big drop off between tee swings and a pitched ball.
My progression
1. Dry swing.
2. Tee swings.
3. Flips or angled toss.
4. simulated pitching machine
5. Front toss
6. live BP

Here is an example of the angled toss we do.

Sorry, more than 4…

the 3 plate drill can really expose the forward move if faulty.

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
the 3 plate drill can really expose the forward move if faulty

Great drill. This was a sticking point for me for a long time because I transitioned to front toss too soon. I’d be trying to get the hitter to control their weight and sequence before they were actually ready. Frustrating for both of us. What W is explaining is a step that many , including me , miss in rushing to get to a pitched ball. Going from the tee to front toss is too far a leap if your learning a different swing pattern. IMO

I’ll move the flips forward seeing how she moves. I should have cut out my ramblings on, sorry. Hit the mute button.

Last edited:

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
I had seen a drill on here i think where if the coach tossed the ball the hitter swung at the pitch, but if the coach didn't toss the ball, the hitter had to realize it was a change up and hit a ball resting on a tee down and away. Anyone familiar with this one? if so does it help?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28