2023 Jan. college camps or team showcases~ WHO'S ATTENDING WHERE?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Teams signed up for showcases in January is common. Also seems becoming even more common is Players making individual decisions to attend camps instead of stay with their team at showcases.

Hearing lots of camps on January 15th.

This is where those big rosters are necessary. Teams I know of are having up to eight players that will not be playing with their teams.

➡️ Who's attending where?
➡️ Does this create a conundrum for families and players making a decision to not stay with their team?
➡️ Is that a hard decision or simply a priority that needs to be?

May 27, 2013
No longer applies to me since dd is in college now but this was never a concern for us over the winter. TB practice was just starting back up at this time and if there was a camp conflict, Coach always told our players to go to the camp. We never played games during the winter with our showcase team.

Fall was our big camp/conflict season and players were still told to go to camp. We’d try to get guest players, if needed, for games.

It was understood that camps always took priority.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
No longer applies to me since dd is in college now but this was never a concern for us over the winter. TB practice was just starting back up at this time and if there was a camp conflict, Coach always told our players to go to the camp. We never played games during the winter with our showcase team.

Fall was our big camp/conflict season and players were still told to go to camp. We’d try to get guest players, if needed, for games.

It was understood that camps always took priority.
Yes certainly teams in different areas may have different schedules. Here in California know of teams that have three showcases back to back in Jan. Not all of the showcases are in California though.

Aug 5, 2022
I don’t understand the concept of teams going to camps as a whole to work with college coaches. Below recruiting age I understand it’s a fun experience, but at recruiting age it seems like a waste of a weekend since a college is unlikely to be interested in more than 1-2 players on a given team and even the very best teams are likely to be mix of talent levels. For example our team is very good with all of our kids capable of playing D1 but we have a few top 25 talents, a larger collection of solid power 5 players but not necessarily top teams, and few mid major kids. Taking them all to a top 25 camp doesn’t make sense to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I don’t understand the concept of teams going to camps as a whole to work with college coaches.
Simply different kind of opportunity for teams.Usually those seem to be instructional camps. Like you comment for younger fun experience.

Academically probably wouldn't fit everybody either. Goals or grades

For example our team is very good with all of our kids capable of playing D1 but we have a few top 25 talents, a larger collection of solid power 5 players but not necessarily top teams, and few mid major kids. Taking them all to a top 25 camp doesn’t make sense to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks like a powerful roster!
Care to share what team? 🙂

Dec 19, 2021
Just a friendly in SoCal and Last Blast at home.

Last Blast was a pretty good tourney last year in 16u. Played Hovermale, Conroy, LTG Cat/Carda, and Boykin among others so the competition was great. That was a high value tournament. Didn't care if it was a showcase or not. I hope it is as good this year in 18u.

We only have one uncommitted senior, and she is pretty easily a P5 kid.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Perhaps should ask what events have been canceled due to weather?
Or volcano erupting!

🌋🗻🌧🌨🌩🌪❄️

radness

Dec 13, 2019
It looks like the southwest has been getting a lot of rain...
High probability things scheduled January 15th in California will be canceled. Unless of course they figure out a way to utilize an indoor location 🤷‍♀️

for players that were hopeful on getting noticed this time of year have to plan accordingly for next camp opportunities which will be end of school in summer.

Kinda like when covi shut things down definitely put a crimp in exposure.

hmmm, bring on the transfer portal options 😒

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Anyone vistiting camps or colleges, meet and greet with coaches?

Here's some road trips I'll be following this month-
Columbia
Harvard
Wellesley
MiT
Long Beach
Oklahoma State
Ole Miss

Will be interesting to see where the academic athletes land.
* Nice to have college coaches who are looking to recruit h.s. juniors!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802