16yo Maddie

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Maddie found a new level today...

She's hit plenty of balls over the fence on this field before (230' at the light pole, 250' at the green box on the right of the frame), but usually just into the bushes past the fence. The first hit went past the bushes, the sidewalk, the street, and hit a fence on the other side (est. 270'+). 2 others landed in the street (250'+). The others were in the 240-250' range. After the last one, we moved to an adjacent field where there wasn't a chance of hitting a moving car and causing bigger problems.

This is the best power I've seen from her, so far.

Her self-analysis...
I'm holding my coil longer as I move forward, and it's helping me get my foot down later with more control of my timing. I'm also keeping my hands inside the ball longer, instead of letting them go away from by shoulder, which is keeping me turn tighter and quicker.

I am OCD about losing balls so how many did you lose? :LOL:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Be aware that the camera angle (on the ground) makes it looks like she's swinging a lot more downward than she actually is. Her barrel path is still down behind and up through contact. That said, she's not turning the barrel down as deep as she has in the past.

Yea, I doubt she squares balls up in the zone like that if her first move is "turning under".

WLuEoH6.gif

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
"Her self-analysis...
I'm holding my coil longer as I move forward, and it's helping me get my foot down later with more control of my timing. I'm also keeping my hands inside the ball longer, instead of letting them go away from by shoulder, which is keeping me turn tighter and quicker. "

This is what will and does set her apart, self-analysis. Owns her swing. Understand the what, why, where and how of her swing. Will be showing this thread to DD after school today.

May 21, 2018
In my mind, these 2 frames show where the money is made. She is set up to perfectly to explode into the ball. Which she does.
Awesome.

Capture.JPGCapture2.JPG

May 24, 2013
So Cal
"Her self-analysis...
I'm holding my coil longer as I move forward, and it's helping me get my foot down later with more control of my timing. I'm also keeping my hands inside the ball longer, instead of letting them go away from by shoulder, which is keeping me turn tighter and quicker. "

This is what will and does set her apart, self-analysis. Owns her swing. Understand the what, why, where and how of her swing. Will be showing this thread to DD after school today.

This is an area where she has really continued to grow. Her ability to connect what she sees on video with what she felt in her swing is really fascinating to hear her talk about, and something only she can bring to the discussion. It's pretty much to the point where my only value is tossing the ball and setting up the camera - LOL

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802