16u and a lot of work. Humble brag!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Can you show me what you mean?
The elbow stops going back at about 7 seconds of video 1; 10 seconds of video 2 and 35 seconds of video 3.

No promises, but if she can have it still going back at the stride heel plant, she may feel a large difference.

Do feel she is progressing well. Congratulations!

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
The elbow stops going back at about 7 seconds of video 1; 10 seconds of video 2 and 35 seconds of video 3.

No promises, but if she can have it still going back at the stride heel plant, she may feel a large difference.

Do feel she is progressing well. Congratulations!

Yes sir. Sequence things. I find that planting that anchor helps things work like you say. I very much try to sequence teach AMAP.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
So since this is an anchor thread or has turned into one. I will elaborate. The back leg needs to stabilize so the pelvis and middle have something to turn against. Both front and back. Without this the kinetic chain won’t stabilize at foot down and things can get wobbly so too speak.

The old pro cue was to keep the weight on the inside part of the back knee while getting back.. it’s correct. I guess you could use the heel or the entirety of the leg/foot but I find the knee being a stable joint (less degrees of freedom) is much easier to gauge and control your ROM in the hips or hip ‘coil’ (a term that I loathe w a passion bc it’s been over cooked and misunderstood forever).

when the hips get back (flexion) and then get forward in flexion (hip coil) while the back leg/knee stays anchored the slack gets taken out of the hips so the core has something to stretch and launch from.. without this it’s tough to leverage the front side wo sliding/drifting. Actual hip coil should come from the gather going back (on top) against a stable knee which holds or restricts the back hip, a stretch point so to speak..

It can be done many in ways (UFAs, I prefer the hands against the knee for UFAs either down or back). The important part is that the weight doesn’t stray past/behind the back knee. It must stay inside throughout. Also making sure to get enough negative coil (flexion or hinge) so there isn’t any early hip extension. From there the middle, hips and glutes are loaded and then launch can be middle out.

@BigSkyHi as far as the arms/shoulders/torso I like to sequence those together against the hips after the hips have been restricted by the back knee and are moving forward. The arms/shoulders/torso load independently (sequentially) of the each other (oblique coil, protraction/retraction) so they can lag a bit behind until stretched. Thereafter the wrists hinge and release.

Watch the back knee of most pros. It’s the key to transitioning the swing without leaking the load.

Here’s what I teach.

1659757783056.gif

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Just don’t plunge the hands forward and down like this swing.

I don’t know the term ‘plunge’. If you’re saying he’s dropping his hands I disagree. I think he’s shortening his swing while still staying behind it. An adjustment swing isn’t the prettiest or the most powerful, but it creates opportunities for barrels.

Jun 8, 2016
I don’t know the term ‘plunge’. If you’re saying he’s dropping his hands I disagree. I think he’s shortening his swing while still staying behind it. An adjustment swing isn’t the prettiest or the most powerful, but it creates opportunities for barrels.
Just for a point of reference, somebody showed TM this swing a while back and he complained about it 😉

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Just for a point of reference, somebody showed TM this swing a while back and he complained about it 😉

Really? I’ve seen Judge send video of him just plunging down and wondering what was wrong. Richard told him he wasn’t doing anything he taught.

Jun 8, 2016
Really? I’ve seen Judge send video of him just plunging down and wondering what was wrong. Richard told him he wasn’t doing anything he taught.
Yeah. It was last year on twitter I think. Somebody sent him that video of Miggy doing that drill and he said something (about the swing).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802