14U Showcases

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Oh yes and this little reminder~
that because of live streaming~
there is a chance there will be less college coaches overall at all age brackets attending tournaments and showcases because they can save a lot of travel expense money by watching on their computer' tablet things.
( travel expense money no longer in the budget)

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Like everything else around this game, I think it's going to depend on the state/area everyone's in. Some of the posts are saying it's a waste of time and others are saying it's not. I took my 13U team to several of them last year just to get them some experience. In the 3 we played, we usually had no less than 1 college coach watching the game and more often than not, 2-3...and we weren't at the same complex as either the 16's or the 18's. Because of these, I have 3 of my players being actively sought after. Several college coaches have contacted them to get them on campus at their camps/clinics so they can get a closer look. Granted, out of the 5 schools that reached out to the 3, 3 were JUCO. Still, it wasn't a complete waste of time and they got some valuable experience.

Another example. Our last tournament of our season is usually an all-sanction world series held in our state capitol. The 12U and 14U divisions are large enough that they each have to split off into separate weekends since they typically have 120-140 teams of each age group sign up. Even though it wasn't a showcase per se, I probably saw 40 or so college coaches walking around ( what I would consider) window shopping.

This Fall, we were invited to play in another 1 by a TD I've known for close to 20 years. It'll be a small affair of 90 teams or so. I was talking to him yesterday and he told me that he was a bit disappointed that more college coaches weren't going to attend. He had invited over 250 but most don't have it in their travel budget or are still playing Fall Ball. However, he has put a player profile booklet per age group together for the coaches and a vast majority of the ones not able to attend asked to have them sent to them. Curious, I asked him which age group was most asked for. He told me the 16's were the most asked for but the 14's ran a very close second.

The point to all of this story telling? That contrary to popular belief, college coaches are out there looking at 14U's. It may be to get the jump on other colleges even though they can't actively talk to them. It may be to see who they want to put on their radars JIC they want to actively recruit them. It may be that they want to see if there's anyone they should look out for in case they're contacted by them expressing interest in their program. It could be any number of reasons. But they are out there and they are looking/watching. Does this mean it's happening in every showcase or every area of the country? Of course not. But it's happening around here...whether it's a showcase or a large age specific tournament.
Where are you speaking of?

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
In general, just like different sanctions are stronger competition in certain areas of the country than other sanctions and other areas of the country, showcases, even at the 14U level will be more beneficial than others. Say for example, you live and play in the middle of nowhere Nebraska. It would not be beneficial for anyone to play a 14U Showcase in that area and would have to travel quite a distance to play in one worthwhile IMO. However, if you lived and played in Ohio and traveled within a 4 hour drive of just about any city you lived, you have a plethora of colleges from Major D1 to D3 plus numerous NAIA and many of those coaches will show up at the larger showcases and tournaments since it's within easy driving distance.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Coaches will show up if they are interested in seeing a player. Doesn't matter if the event is called showcase, Battle for the Bats, 5 game round robin, or whatever.

Apr 11, 2016
DD is going to her first showcase this weekend. She is still in 8th grade, but many of her teammates are freshmen in high school. Her new coach is teacher her team (and us parents) how to navigate through the college recruiting landscape. And let me tell you, there is so much to learn. We are glad she is learning it now while she is still young, and it ok for us to help her. Next year in high school, she must do everything herself, from drafting emails to creating her player profile. Plus, she is very nervous about the showcase, but we say, who cares? If she doesn't do well, they just won't remember her. So this is her time to figure things out without screwing up any chances for college. I am so glad she is having a head start now. Next year at 16U, they'd expect her to know what to do without parents' help.

Aug 13, 2013
Sayville
Oh yes and this little reminder~
that because of live streaming~
there is a chance there will be less college coaches overall at all age brackets attending tournaments and showcases because they can save a lot of travel expense money by watching on their computer' tablet things.
( travel expense money no longer in the budget)
I rather be there live...streaming is ok but everyone I have talked to says nothing beats being there live in person

Aug 13, 2013
Sayville
DD is going to her first showcase this weekend. She is still in 8th grade, but many of her teammates are freshmen in high school. Her new coach is teacher her team (and us parents) how to navigate through the college recruiting landscape. And let me tell you, there is so much to learn. We are glad she is learning it now while she is still young, and it ok for us to help her. Next year in high school, she must do everything herself, from drafting emails to creating her player profile. Plus, she is very nervous about the showcase, but we say, who cares? If she doesn't do well, they just won't remember her. So this is her time to figure things out without screwing up any chances for college. I am so glad she is having a head start now. Next year at 16U, they'd expect her to know what to do without parents' help.
Awesome!! Just like my 14u team did at Northeast Showcase...nothing like getting the experience!! Just tell her...play hard...hustle hard....never back down...do your best!!! It gets better as they get older

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I rather be there live...streaming is ok but everyone I have talked to says nothing beats being there live in person
Live games gets a better Ambiance of what's going on. . Still Players like to look at what coaches are following their games live streaming. they don't always get to see the coaches that are in the stands.
Lots of different showcasing going on the same time in different states.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom