14U Showcases

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 31, 2011
Now that we are done with the disaster of the early verbal, I don’t see much reason for 14u showcases.

Yes, college coaches still look at a (very) few kids at that age but they can still do that at nationals and other high profile tournaments.

Right now some of you are thinking “But our org head said they ARE lookin at our 7th and 8th graders.” My response is to feel free to choose what you want to believe.

And don’t shoot the messenger but if a player is really that good, they shouldn’t be playing 14u anyway.

14u showcases are for the convenience of org heads that want all their teams playing in one place. Most of them are hosting tournaments themselves and all these good ol’ boys do each other the favor of playing in each other’s events. Meanwhile parents get fleeced and have to drag their kids all over Gods green earth on school days.

This public service announcement is part of a series brought to parents in an effort to lessen the effects of the Softball Industrial Complex.

Why not? TDs can charge 50% more for "Showcase" events vs a regular old tourney! Hey, here is our "Coach List" to prove it! LOL.

Yes, if a 14 YO kid is a beast, she should be playing up.

Nov 5, 2014
I would have rather they just addressed the junior high offers than severely limiting the information colleges can share with HS age PSA’s.
This 1000X

In response to a few P5 coaches not having the self control to avoid making offers to 6th graders hundreds of other D1 schools, who never did or would offer a middle schooler, are denied the opportunity to build a relationship with PSA's in the 9th and 10th grade and PSA's are forced to make college decisions without having sufficient time to explore and find the best fit for them

Aug 13, 2013
Sayville
I brought my young 14u team to a showcase this past weekend. We played 16U teams. We hit the ball well and bad at times, we fielded well and made errors at times, our pitchers threw strikes at times and were wild at times and got hit sometimes and struck out batters at times. We played 5 games without fear of elimination.Umpires and other coaches said they were impressed because we didnt back down. At the end, we asked our players what they thought. They all said it was a great leaning experience and they now know what to expect as they get older and attend showcases. To me thats why there should be 14u showcases.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Why not? TDs can charge 50% more for "Showcase" events vs a regular old tourney! Hey, here is our "Coach List" to prove it! LOL.

Yes, if a 14 YO kid is a beast, she should be playing up.
Cost more
And every team gets guaranteed the same amount of games.
= more fields and umpires needed also.
Could actually be a better price bang for the bucks.

Instead of teams all paying the same and majority of teams playing less games than the winning teams who get the most games.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2015
I brought my young 14u team to a showcase this past weekend.

Just out of curiosity, which showcase did you attend this past weekend? Was it the Northeast College Showcase in upstate NY? I'm only asking just because I have a peculiar hunch if so, I might have been an official for one of your games (and if I'm wrong, I'm completely wrong here. :p )

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Cost more
And every team gets guaranteed the same amount of games.
= more fields and umpires needed also.
Could actually be a better price bang for the bucks.

Instead of teams all paying the same and majority of teams playing less games than the winning teams who get the most games.
So imagine this

Teams that play tournys and lose early dont get as much playing time = exposure.

In showcases, Lessor quality teams may get the same quality exposer better quality teams do.
While being guaranteed the same amount of games.

Just thinking it through

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2011
I brought my young 14u team to a showcase this past weekend. We played 16U teams. We hit the ball well and bad at times, we fielded well and made errors at times, our pitchers threw strikes at times and were wild at times and got hit sometimes and struck out batters at times. We played 5 games without fear of elimination.Umpires and other coaches said they were impressed because we didnt back down. At the end, we asked our players what they thought. They all said it was a great leaning experience and they now know what to expect as they get older and attend showcases. To me thats why there should be 14u showcases.
Its great that your team enjoyed the experience for sure. Sounds like it was a productive weekend.

When I coached TB it seemed like my teams performed better in elimination style tournaments. Something was on the line. The showcase style seemed to make them less competitive. You get a certain number of games, so winning wasn't as important.

Plus, not to put a downer on the showcase subject, but in my experience you will see that Big Time Orgs will play each other and the No name Orgs typically get the back diamonds at the less than desired times.

Aug 13, 2013
Sayville
Just out of curiosity, which showcase did you attend this past weekend? Was it the Northeast College Showcase in upstate NY? I'm only asking just because I have a peculiar hunch if so, I might have been an official for one of your games (and if I'm wrong, I'm completely wrong here. :p )
yes it was Northeast Showcase in Glens Falls

Jun 1, 2015
I knew it! I remembered you mentioning the information from your signature when we were talking in-between innings. I had the plate for your Saturday 11:30am game vs. the Smash-It Sports team. And I will agree with what you had said previously, your group did not back down in the face of bigger/more experienced teams, and that's how they'll learn and grow. I'm glad to see they had a good experience (even if they were outmatched against the older teams they faced) - they'll only learn by playing against faster, higher-level teams, and now that they know what to expect, it'll only make them better and prepared for those opportunities.

Aug 13, 2013
Sayville
I knew it! I remembered you mentioning the information from your signature when we were talking in-between innings. I had the plate for your Saturday 11:30am game vs. the Smash-It Sports team. And I will agree with what you had said previously, your group did not back down in the face of bigger/more experienced teams, and that's how they'll learn and grow. I'm glad to see they had a good experience (even if they were outmatched against the older teams they faced) - they'll only learn by playing against faster, higher-level teams, and now that they know what to expect, it'll only make them better and prepared for those opportunities.
Thank you. I appreciate the kind words and will let me team know what you said

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812