14u rec

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 6, 2017
Helping 14 u this year. Dd last year of rec.
3/4 of the team are lefty..
We have a few girls who can’t throw or catch a flyball still. I have been taking these girls one
at a time off to the side playing catch and throwing fly balls. I heard first practice a coach was helping and a girl rolled her eyes..
I didn’t see any of that. Should I keep the girls together or keep pulling a few off to the side? I want them to have fun it’s rec ball.
I figured I’ll keep them busy the best I can as
I know standing in the field get boring. Head
coach is a football dad so he’s good at keeping the voice going and practicing infield.

I like to stand in the group and try to point out a little something to each one that way they don’t feel isolated. Ex assistant is hitting ground balls to SS we have a line waiting there turn once a player makes the catch and throw as she goes to the back of the line I’m standing there and can point out try catching the ball closer to your front foot or push harder on your back leg when you start your throw. You can give a little demonstration If your lucky You will notice they are all listening and trying to make the adjustments. Then just pick another play and show them something to work on that way they can practice what you are coaching right on the spot. this way you can work on more than one at a time. I found that even if you don’t see improvement if you tell them “that’s much better “ and ask did you feel it? They are much more likely to try harder and pay more attention to the instructions. Any time I use negative language like that’s NOT it or thats WRONG usually gets me a head drop or rolling eyes. Remember it’s rec ball the more fun you have the better they will play.

Feb 20, 2019
Sounds like you need a lot more help if you have several who still can't throw or catch, but I like the "one-off" approach myself. One-on-one instruction is so much more impactful and generally gets better, quicker results. In addition, I'd suggest either you or the HC send out some links to videos demonstrating how to throw and ask them to practice on their own too.

Apr 6, 2017
We had the whole team last night. They’re fielding is coming right along. Hitting and throwing is still not where it needs to be. HC
sent me a few to hit into the net again..
I think we’re the only team practicing!

Oct 4, 2018
Any chance you can get the parents helping at home? When I coached 10U rec I practically ordered the parents to play catch with their kid daily for 15 minutes.

May 6, 2015
Any chance you can get the parents helping at home? When I coached 10U rec I practically ordered the parents to play catch with their kid daily for 15 minutes.
try having a discussion with them, and make it clear from your comments that you assume they are/will be practicing with their DDs, even if it is just catch, outside of practice . . . dont ask, make it seem like it is normal / the standard, and it will become so.

May 24, 2013
So Cal

In 10U, a mom approached me about how her DD could get better, and asked what my DD did to be as good as she was. When I described the amount of work my DD did with me at home, she looked almost horrified. I think she was looking for some kind of secret trick that didn't involve demands on her time. In contrast, another player worked her butt off with her mom, and went from a newbie to an all-star nominee in her first season.

Jun 11, 2013
When we played 10U a bunch of years back we had a team that was split with some 10 year old players and some who had just moved up from 8U. We split practice a lot to get the younger kids ready to play while not boring the older kids. It was easy because it was a pretty clear divide.

As far as practicing at home I worked with DD a lot. One time before a game they were soft tossing and she knocked the net over when she hit a ball. One of the younger kids waiting in line asked the coach how she hits it so hard. He didn't even look up and said "She practices at home a lot".

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Helping 14 u this year. Dd last year of rec.
3/4 of the team are lefty..
We have a few girls who can’t throw or catch a flyball still. I have been taking these girls one
at a time off to the side playing catch and throwing fly balls. I heard first practice a coach was helping and a girl rolled her eyes..
I didn’t see any of that. Should I keep the girls together or keep pulling a few off to the side? I want them to have fun it’s rec ball.
I figured I’ll keep them busy the best I can as
I know standing in the field get boring. Head
coach is a football dad so he’s good at keeping the voice going and practicing infield.
Maybe you get get the newbies into a group with a lot of cheering for one another?

Oct 4, 2018
In 10U, a mom approached me about how her DD could get better, and asked what my DD did to be as good as she was. When I described the amount of work my DD did with me at home, she looked almost horrified. I think she was looking for some kind of secret trick that didn't involve demands on her time. In contrast, another player worked her butt off with her mom, and went from a newbie to an all-star nominee in her first season.

It's almost staggering to me how little work at home can turn a novice into and All-Star player. I honestly don't think my DD has much natural talent but working with me 4-5 days per week turned her into one of the best in our zip code. They can get good quickly.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812