12yo Pitching Eval

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2020
Ok so DD is turning 13 in July and has been pitching since April of 2019. 19/20 was her first season in TB and she had to move up to 12U that fall. As all first years ate, it was rough. She had and has a great attitude and never gives up. She works hard and is willing to put in time to improve.

She was able to pitch indoors the first winter twice a week and definitely improved her control. 12U was eye opening for her, better hitters, faster paced games and she really fell in love with the game despite being in what turned out to be a toxic coaching situation (that story is for another time). Again worked hard and after deciding she didn't want to leave the girls she was now playing with (they were all second year 12U and moving up) we took the entire team except the HCs DD to another club. So here we are with two seasons in and I'm just looking for some advice to improve her situation- better control, location etc https://photos.app.goo.gl/WhrUg4pXJQkNYtHM6
Now I see the she is not stacked and appears to be too throwing arm stiff/ridged. Also noticed she falls off to the right at times. Any advise? Comments, concerns? All fastballs except the very last one which is a srewball.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Does she have a change up? That can help set her apart if she needs to work on her fastball....

Sep 7, 2020
Does she have a change up? That can help set her apart if she needs to work on her fastball....
Yes she does. Drops about 15-20 MPH from the FB. The issue is she throws all her pitches with the same form. We are working on IR now but she keeps reflexing back to stiff arm.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
One drill I find effective with pitchers that have trouble keeping the arm flexed is to focus on making small circumference ball circles. If she makes small circles she will have to keep her arm flexed. Have her initial focus be more on the ball itself and less on the arm. If she does it right the 'whip' feel coming into release will become obvious.

Sep 7, 2020
Little update, so I found a new pitching coach for my daughter in our area and she has had two lessons so far. They are Tincher certified the woman who runs the facility has trained multiple young women, one of which is now coaching. My daughter has always been excited about pitching but she is giddy now after the lessons. I will try to video her over the next several days. We own a lot to our original coach but she has improved her mechanics tremendously in just two days. Now she just needs 200 or so more lessons and 10k pitches to practice

Sep 7, 2020
Dd has been working on a few things. Still needs to clean up a few things, glove arm control, right foot drag and stacking a bit more but she has come a long way in a short time.
5497d7cd241eb4705cdc7e0ca4783c83.gif
6ee49b7467d47be1f5154807e7fb1ff8.gif

Jun 19, 2016
I watched that first video again and she could very well get called for an illegal pitch for not bringing the ball and the glove together when she comes set. In general, the ball needs to be in the glove when she grips the ball to hide her grip anyway. It doesn't seem like she is doing it in the last gif so maybe it isn't an issue anymore.

It also looks like she is starting back instead of stepping back which is probably a good thing. As long as the NCAA doesn't allow stepping back there are going to certain tournaments that will not allow it.

Sep 7, 2020
I watched that first video again and she could very well get called for an illegal pitch for not bringing the ball and the glove together when she comes set. In general, the ball needs to be in the glove when she grips the ball to hide her grip anyway. It doesn't seem like she is doing it in the last gif so maybe it isn't an issue anymore.

The first video of the new ones posted?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478