12U Hitting "Slump"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Thanks guys, as I understand your view point better.

The girl unloads the back arm early, no scap pinch. No loading the back leg further with scap load.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
tumblr_oqovjks4Vr1usf292o1_400.gif

Whether the Scap gets loaded or unloaded.....is the least of this hitters worries. Learning the proper sequence should be her,dad or hitting coaches main focus.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
tumblr_oqovjks4Vr1usf292o1_400.gif

Whether the Scap gets loaded or unloaded.....is the least of this hitters worries. Learning the proper sequence should be her,dad or hitting coaches main focus.

Rd, ... probably a rarity ... but I'm going to disagree with you here. The arm action I described earlier needs to be in sequence, and lags the lower body & core twisting action ... and it is this lag that gives rise to the scap 'becoming' loaded. Bypassing this is what she is doing now ... which leads to her loosy-goosey sling-like swing ... it is why the energy transfer from her lower body is greatly short-circuited from being delivered to the barrel.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I agree with all but, we are 'preaching to the choir'. Loosy-goosey or arm swing. Dad thought DD was in a 'slump' which we all agree is not a 'slump but, mechanical. Dad has checked out of this critic/conversation. Seems to be the norm when swings are posted and 'coaches'(dads) think a couple of tweaks or words of encouragement is going to fix the 'slump'.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Agree ... hitters with this mechanic can have success while playing at a low-level ... in fact, the 'sling' is actually a powerful whip-like mechanic and can drive the snot out of the ball ... which is the problem ... the positive feedback they receive from driving the ball has them embedding this mechanic ... and this mechanic will fail against better pitching.

You hear the sob song all the time .... dd has gone into a slump .... because the parent's wrongly believe that the kid was swinging well ... ... ... when the truth is that they were swinging poorly and the results were being subsidized by playing at a low-level.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
It's difficult for a parent to believe that their daughter's swing was never good in the first place, and that the earlier success they believed in was primarily due to facing weak pitching. This game can be cruel in that way.

May 3, 2014
It's difficult for a parent to believe that their daughter's swing was never good in the first place, and that the earlier success they believed in was primarily due to facing weak pitching. This game can be cruel in that way.

So true. If I had a dollar for every time I heard "I don't understand, she used to hit bombs in 10U/12U/Little League"..."

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee