12U Hitting "Slump"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.

I had to watch 2:26 min. of this 2013 video...You missed my point. Plus, did I miss the ragin cajun's in the college world series. If having an open stance and REMAIN open works for you then great. My DD uses an open stance but, she strides to/towards a closed stride dependent on the pitch.
tumblr_oqovjks4Vr1usf292o1_400.gif

Are you suggesting that this hitter, with an up stance and remains open, should stay 'the course' And are you even suggesting that this hitter strides/remains open like the video you posted. I can look at the hips and say no way. This hitter doesn't even come close to a SNF that the ULL hitters achieve. Pleas point out what I'm missing.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
To be completely honest, I wasn't thinking much of anything. Pretty much a knee-jerk response because the L/L stance has been on my mind lately after chatting with another parent on DD's team. I haven't read a single other post in this thread and plan to do so when time allows. The open stance/split grip concepts are intriguing, as are L/L's offensive numbers...

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
To be completely honest, I wasn't thinking much of anything. Pretty much a knee-jerk response because the L/L stance has been on my mind lately after chatting with another parent on DD's team. I haven't read a single other post in the the thread and plan to do so when time allows. The open stance/split grip concepts are intriguing, as are L/L's offensive numbers...

Problem is may be one person has been reading this thread and it seemed to me that you were advocating staying open even after pitch and stride/non-stride. My 'knee jerk' response is how many hitters can pull off staying open all through the swing. Again, not saying not to teach your hitters to have and open stance and maintain the open stance through out their swing. I'm just saying I wouldn't do it for the one person reading.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Problem is may be one person has been reading this thread and it seemed to me that you were advocating staying open even after pitch and stride/non-stride. My 'knee jerk' response is how many hitters can pull off staying open all through the swing. Again, not saying not to teach your hitters to have and open stance and maintain the open stance through out their swing. I'm just saying I wouldn't do it for the one person reading.

Yup! Pretty much completely out of context with the gist of this thread... I'm headed back to the pitching forum (as long as the ADD doesn't pull me to the Rules Forum...)

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Rdbass,

I just wanted to comment on the dad and his lack of involvement in the thread. There are many things I don't say in these threads of hitters shown. Mainly because of the lack of involvement. I don't want to waste my time.

Mar 20, 2017
Madison, WI
Hi Shawn, All -

Apologies if completely off-topic, but as a parent new to this site looking for ways to improve my DD's hitting, what do you suggest as the best approach? For the largely uneducated masses, posting a video of your child and receiving somewhat critical and technical feedback can be imposing. As has been insinuated (I believe correctly), many parents posting here are not used to hearing that DD is anything but a monster at the plate. They perhaps are paying for a hitting instructor and are surprised to hear that that individual is not making adjustments to DD's swing that seem so obvious to others. On the flip side, I'm guessing that for those with experience teaching hitting, it is frustrating to continually get parents who lose interest when they see responses that can be terse and unflattering and that there is real work involved if significant improvement is to be made.

rdbass has suggested a few times in the threads I have studied that either the hitting instructor or the parent needs to understand the proper hitting sequence. Is the right move for a parent with a willingness to learn to gain some fundamental knowledge of model swings before reviewing their own DD's mechanics and then seeking help here? Just trying to understand if you have thoughts on how to get the most out of this type of forum. Thanks, JF

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
rdbass has suggested a few times in the threads I have studied that either the hitting instructor or the parent needs to understand the proper hitting sequence
The path a took back in 2010 was to read every thread. I know most parents don't have as much time as I seemed to have. I was 'blessed' that my day job didn't interfere with all my studying. I also would read threads of DD's that were posted and see what the posters suggested. I also studied every posted hitter I could. I would make a mental note of what I think a hitter needed to work on. Then, I would see if what 'flaws' I thought a hitter had would match up with what other posters would suggest. I also visited other sites, mainly baseball sites. My goal for my DD was to match the HL swing. Of course it doesn't but, we keep trying. I understand most don't have as much time as I have/had. I'm not a hitting instructor(would love to do it). I'm just a dad that had a DD that wanted to be the best hitter she could be and I was obsessed. When DD's college 'career' is over (it's year to year dependent on the coach). I will continue to post and study. When softball ends it's off to the fishing forums where I'm sure I'll be critiquing casts. If I can answer any further question....fire away....I'm here all day.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
[MENTION=15623]juliefox_24[/MENTION] ...Much like rdbass, I came to DFP to learn how I could help my DD become the player she wanted to be. I had been athletic all my life, but had no background in softball or baseball. I had - and still have - a passion for educating myself to be an effective guide for my DD. I read, discussed, argued, got pissed off, got offended...and learned a ton. During my time on DFP, my DD has progressed from a new 8U rec player to one of the better hitters and catchers in 12U TB in our area, and she continues her march towards her goal of playing college softball. Much of her progress was guided by what I learned from people on this site. My gained knowledge also lead to me becoming a coach for my DD's teams as she progressed from rec to TB. If a parent has the willingness to learn, and has the ability to teach their DD (sometimes that process can be rough), it can be done. Lots have done it.

Sep 29, 2014
Anybody know if not being able to put pics in a PM is standard (you would think I should know by know).

Anyway wanted to reach out to the OP since the thread got really technical really fast but hey its the technical thread what do you expect.

Any here the pic I mentioned in my PM to you. You can PM questions or feel free to jump back into the fray.

slavinseq.jpg

May 3, 2014
Wow - very nice comparison.

I have a player that has improved tremendously in one part of the swing and that is the part that sticks out the most in the clips above.

The rear leg.

Although not the best video - she just finished freshman year and hit this ball about 240 ft. BTW props to the CF - I thought that ball was a way over her head and she had me pause for second thinking she was going to come up with it.
XMov1P.gif

GNAd08.jpg

11895d1496767494-12u-hitting-slump-slavinseq.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478