10U tryout

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2022
In my opinion, nothing is more important than throw and catch. Something I would look for within that assessment is weird throwing styles. The fly fishing kids are really hard to correct, and especially if they don't seem interested in doing so.

A basic look at their swing and ability to make contact. Some of the worst swings I've seen belong to kids who have a knack for finding the ball.

I've also noticed that the ability to field a ground ball isn't much of an indicator of potential. I've seen some terribly non-athletic kids do just fine taking a basic grounder their first time out, while being very uncoordinated and downright terrible at everything else. I've noticed that effort getting to that ball and the ability to get to it smoothly have been more of an indicator of ability.

I've also noticed that you can pick out good athletes via base running, and by base running I just mean teaching them where to land the foot, how to make the turn, and just cutting them loose to see how they run, their balance, etc.

For popups, most of them (even the solid athletes) will suck at it right out of the gate, but I've noticed that the ones who do well at tracking the ball will do well at it right out of the gate.

Really all of what I'm speaking of here is for first time players or players with very little experience. The kids we've had the most success teaching and the faster learning curve are the natural athletes who want to learn.

Good luck!

Jun 11, 2022
In my opinion, nothing is more important than throw and catch. Something I would look for within that assessment is weird throwing styles. The fly fishing kids are really hard to correct, and especially if they don't seem interested in doing so.

A basic look at their swing and ability to make contact. Some of the worst swings I've seen belong to kids who have a knack for finding the ball.

I've also noticed that the ability to field a ground ball isn't much of an indicator of potential. I've seen some terribly non-athletic kids do just fine taking a basic grounder their first time out, while being very uncoordinated and downright terrible at everything else. I've noticed that effort getting to that ball and the ability to get to it smoothly have been more of an indicator of ability.

I've also noticed that you can pick out good athletes via base running, and by base running I just mean teaching them where to land the foot, how to make the turn, and just cutting them loose to see how they run, their balance, etc.

For popups, most of them (even the solid athletes) will suck at it right out of the gate, but I've noticed that the ones who do well at tracking the ball will do well at it right out of the gate.

Really all of what I'm speaking of here is for first time players or players with very little experience. The kids we've had the most success teaching and the faster learning curve are the natural athletes who want to learn.

Good luck!
Thank you so much for the information.

Jan 25, 2022
Thank you so much for the information.
you're quite welcome. I've coached 4 seasons at LL and MS so I'm certainly still new to it. Those are just the things I've noticed. Some things do and don't resolve themselves as practices get going. The two types of kids that progress the fastest are the best natural athletes (except one girl who was a phenomenal runner with a worthless attitude), and the kids that hustle the hardest. The ones in the middle are hit and miss. Intuition is something hard to teach as well, so if a kid has a knack for following the ball and knowing where to be without being told, that's a keeper. We've tried to give everyone a fair shake, and a couple kids we went above and beyond with trying to get them to use their talent and stop being so difficult, but ultimately they didn't work out.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101