10U Swing Help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 5, 2022
So Cal
A quick update for you all. First ,thanks for throwing in all of your ideas and drills and putting aside your internet family squabbles 😉. I am taking them all into account as I figure out how to move forward with her. This past weekend she was asked to play up into a 12U TOC game because they were down on players, and she did ok against a pretty elite (for rec) pitcher. She drew a great walk after fouling a few off and scored one of three runs for our team. Next time she hit a dribbler down the first base line and was thrown out. I videod the at bats in slo-mo and really think the first thing she needs to master is timing. She normally does not begin her process until after the ball is in the air, which I think is way too late. By that point everything is breaking down and it is a rush to get the bat on the ball. I keep telling her she needs to start her process when the pitcher has her hand here or there but once in the game she usually reverts back. We worked this drill today, which I liked:

She finally hit one in the "green" zone out front and honestly I think it was the best hit she's had. Obviously only against dad, but I was on top of her throwing as hard as I could without plunking her.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Timing is found by front foot leverage. You have to learn how to adjust off that. By backing the ball up w velocity. Adjusting happens thereafter out front.

May 5, 2022
So Cal
Hey all original poster here. My daughter is now in 12u. She still has great hand eye coordination but lacks getting pop on the ball. It seems a lot of her contact comes prior to any extension, no snap of the wrist or punch through the zone. I think I’ve filled her head with too many thoughts at this point. She kind of struggled during all stars this last season.

If you have a moment take a look at her swing from this week and let me know what you see:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee