10U Swing Eval

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Sometimes kids at that age are better just trying to hit the ball hard vs listening (or trying to at least) to well intentioned adults. Time and place for everything..

You do a poor impression of Rich because deep down you aren’t an arse..

Pitchers start at 10u. You wouldn’t just tell the pitcher to figure it out. It takes years of development. And they start learning how to pitch at 10u. I’ve umpired some pretty damn good pitchers at 10u.

I watched a video of men, some young from around the world pitching. Different countries. Those were some bizarre motions. I was asking how they could even throw the ball with a motion that they just figured out.

It’s not that can’t teach a 9 year old, it’s if the 9 year old is ready to learn. She must have some to learning ability if she learned that swing.

BTW, I asked what her swing would looked like if she would just swing the damn bat. He said it wasn’t much better.

And yes, we were just having fun and no one was serious about a dad and a 9 year old making all these changes.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Sometimes kids at that age are better just trying to hit the ball hard vs listening (or trying to at least) to well intentioned adults. Time and place for everything..

You do a poor impression of Rich because deep down you aren’t an arse..

Evey kid at every age has people telling them how to swing. All the way until they stop playing. Everyone thinks they know hitting, take Bonesaw for example. 😂 When in reality they now very little because they don’t understand Everyone’s point of view and the flaws in their understanding or correct understanding.

Hitting the ball well is a goal for every swing. That’s the name of the game. The more consistent you are in achieving that goal the better. Hitting the ball well means hard ground balls through the infield as well as the gaps shot. It can even be a hard liner to a fielder.

Consistently hitting the ball well.

That’s the goal. Consistently hitting the ball well.

Aug 20, 2017
OP said his DD “rarely hits at all” or “hits it softly”. I think teaching her a few things is appropriate. I’ve coached 9yo olds before and they are more than ready for some basic instruction.

Jun 8, 2016
OP said his DD “rarely hits at all” or “hits it softly”. I think teaching her a few things is appropriate. I’ve coached 9yo olds before and they are more than ready for some basic instruction.
She has taken hitting lessons already. Granted the instruction could have been subpar…or maybe she isn’t ready for it yet.

Aug 20, 2017
She has taken hitting lessons already. Granted the instruction could have been subpar…or maybe she isn’t ready for it yet.
It looks to me she legit taught knob to the ball. Kids are funny in that many times they will do exactly what you tell them to do. I do like what you said in that it will allow her body to figure out how to swing hard. I just think that could cause more frustration for her.

Do these and she will start to feel stronger. Pretty simple drills. Cool the entire upper body against the hips with feet at 45* angle. Get head to go backwards. She’s gonna want to move forward first few times.

Jun 8, 2016
It looks to me she legit taught knob to the ball. Kids are funny in that many times they will do exactly what you tell them to do. I do like what you said in that it will allow her body to figure out how to swing hard. I just think that could cause more frustration for her.

Do these and she will start to feel stronger. Pretty simple drills. Cool the entire upper body against the hips with feet at 45* angle. Get head to go backwards. She’s gonna want to move forward first few times.

Drills with minimal instruction is fine too. My 7 YO DS likes to do Happy Gilmore 🤷🏽‍♂️

TDS

Mar 11, 2010

Do these and she will start to feel stronger. Pretty simple drills. Coil the entire upper body against the hips with feet at 45* angle. Get head to go backwards. She’s gonna want to move forward first few times.

I don't believe this to be the intention of SNF although I think your definition is closer to high level.

Aug 20, 2017
I don't believe this to be the intention of SNF although I think your definition is closer to high level.
Not sure what the original intention of SNF is/was. I think teaching the upper to coil against the hips is a more simplistic teach than coiling around the rear hip socket (back butt check to pitcher) if that was the intention. Could be totally off on that though

Jun 8, 2016
I am not against instruction at any age, you just have to figure out if a kid is ready for it or not. If a kid is doing something incorrectly that they are unable to feel that is a pretty good tell that they don't have the body awareness yet to be able to take verbal instruction and do something positive with it..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariafermin279