10U Skill Development

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 1, 2022
Wanted to ask the experts here on what is the most important thing to work on at home when it comes to beginner skill development. My daughter will begin 10U next season and I wanted to get a headstart on skill development for catcher, with the intention of making an all-star team in 2025 and possibly trying out for travel teams in 2026.

From the following skills, what would be the most important from a standpoint of performing well in team tryouts as well as earning playing time.

1. Receiving/framing
2. Blocking
3. Throwing out stealing runners
4. Anything else?

Seems like coaches are most impressed with girls with big arms. My DD is 4'1" 53lbs so not much to work with there but she can get the ball to 1B/3B from home plate. Should I just be doing long toss?

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Mar 29, 2023
Not a catcher or catcher parent, but have been involved with first year travel teams. From what I have seen the priority for catchers in their first season(s) of 10U (presuming also joining other first year girls) are:

1. Consistently catching the ball, and expanding on this to not drop third strikes. If they do drop the third strike, have a good reaction and arm to get the out at first. If coaches can trust you for _just_ this, you will play a lot, in my opinion. Framing is extremely advanced at this age.

2. Being able to slow down or react quickly to wild pitches. I wouldn't even say it'd be expected to totally block to start, but just be able to keep things under control.

3. Be able to make the toss from the backstop to the pitcher on passed balls when girls try to steal home.

4. Be able to throw to 3rd on steals there. There are very few catchers that can throw girls out at 2nd in 10U and they are usually 11 year olds, but all catchers should be able to control 3rd.

5. Be vocal. Catchers that know what's going on and communicate to their team stand out.

Last edited: