10U Rec Parents...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Oh, as far as the batting order. For the local rec league, girls who show up late are usually put at the bottom of the order, not as punishment, but because that way they won't be at risk of missing an at bat. You need to put the batting order in place ahead of time. Of course you put the girls who are actually THERE in first.

Mar 28, 2013
You did the right thing, Just keep in mind there is nothing you can do now or in the future to ever make a parent like that happy. the sooner you realize that the sooner you can dump the drama. Good luck and have a great season!!

Jan 23, 2014
When I coached 10u rec I had the kids alternate positions and never made a kid play outfield more than 1 inning in a row. I also selected my batting order by having a different girl lead off each game and rotating hitter, non hitter, hitter, non hitter. I guess our rec league wasn't very strong, most games were walkfests. In the tournament I did keep the girls in their better positions for the most part, it was single elimination. The so called "star" (selfproclaimed) couldn't be there on time and we had to start the game without here. So she got out in center field. The star should've easily caught an easy pop up but forgot to quit pouting long enough to pay attention to the game. Sigh. Anyway, isn't the purpose of rec to develop and to teach a love for the game? At 10u rec I don't see someone who is an "outfielder" developing much love for the sport.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Eric F - I explained my strategy on the batting order to the girls before the game, and I reiterated it in front of the parents after the game. She just texted me and said she is contacting the head of our league and pulling her daughter.

Oh no!!! I am sure you are heartbroken.

And you are about to find out whether your 'heads of the league' has a backbone or not.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Had a dad go off on me in a similar manner at a tourney a couple years back. College coaches there and he is screaming, yelling, and throwing a temper tantrum because his DD is not starting. Threats were made so I sent him and his DD packing in middle of ASA 18U Nationals since there is some behavior I will just not let stand. Unknown to him I recognized that his DD was on a tear and hammering the ball. I had already made the call that as soon as we had runners in scoring position we would sub her in to deliver the goods. She had verballed to one of the schools there to watch her who ended up deciding that she was no longer a fit for their program.

Nov 29, 2009
You did the right thing and the parent is doing you a HUGE favor if she simply pulls the kid off your team. Continue to handle it well because now the kids are watching you.

She may not find a team to take her DD because the mom is such a self-entitled idiot. Word spreads fast in the small world of rec sports. I know I would not want the girl because of the mother as a coach. I have too many other things to worry about.

Nov 29, 2009
10U rec parents are the WORST (followed closely by 10U TB parents! :p).

Have to disagree with you on that one. 2nd year 12U travel parents are the worst. They start to think they know something while voicing their opinions.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
She may not find a team to take her DD because the mom is such a self-entitled idiot. Word spreads fast in the small world of rec sports. I know I would not want the girl because of the mother as a coach. I have too many other things to worry about.

When I look back over the years at the players that had the most challenges with the college recruiting process the vast majority of the issues involved the parents.