10U Rec League - 3 outs vs bat 10 rules

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 21, 2021
Ok, so tonight we played the undefeated 1st place team, me and other coach go to home plate to agree on either 3 outs vs bat 10 = inning over. He was visitor, I was home. He was adamant we do 3 outs, I was adamant we did bat 10. Finally he walks off in a huff and said fine let's do 10 batters. In my view, it's more fair at this age and skill level to give each team a chance because let's be honest, we could have visiting team batting the entire time limit.
He made ugly comments the entire game, wouldn't be civil, and HE IS THE PRESIDENT OF THE LEAGUE !! We ended up winning by 1 , walked our 10th batter w bases loaded, he pulled his girls off before our runners even reached the next base...tried to cheapen the win as much as he could.
I'm so enraged and disappointed in his actions , not sure how I should handle it if I should do anything at all.
And not to mention there was several blatant bad calls going against us ...jeez man this ain't the world series, if you were truly here for the girls it would be a non-issue...

Jul 14, 2018
Having a coach/league official who puts a premium on winning 10U games is one of the hazards of playing rec. Especially when you have a 10U parent running the league. Unless that person has older kids who have played through and gone on to travel, I don’t get why rec leagues put new parents in charge. It’s a recipe for disaster.

The ground rules is an interesting topic. We always played five runs an inning, but that nearly always resulted in a tie. The best teams could get a few outs and have a three-run inning, thereby winning the game.

I actually like the 10-batter rule. That sounds like it would keep the game moving and still be enough of a wildcard that each half-inning wouldn’t have an identical score.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 21, 2021
Thanks for that , yea I agree with 10 batter is best , just because OUR JOB IS TO DEVELOP PLAYERS NOT TO WIN AT ALL COSTS , I would rather them win or lose based on their play and abilities. Gives a fair chance , I've seen teams not being able to bat all players in a 3 out system. I just feel that all girls deserve a chance to have a game situation , how else will they get better ? Oh and not to mention they beaned like half our team and we did not hit 1 single batter... Also our league commissioner sent a GroupMe text this morning saying that we go by USSSA All Stars rules, not to contact officials lolol . There is no All Stars rule I can find , so don't know what that is about.

May 6, 2015
how big are rosters?

if a team is going down 123 each inning, those are short half innings. with a run limit (we always did 5, last two innings were open), other half inning cannot be too awfully long. should not be an issue to get 4 innings in then, unless rosters are big (and that is a diffferent issue), that should get everyone an at bat.

if a team gets one BR per inning, you only need 3 innings to bat 12.

3 outs 5 runs always worked for us. early in year we would get 3 or 4 innings in (but if 3, there were BR for both teams). by end of year, we were getting 5 or 6 in.

I feel you have to reward defense, or you will have coaches (and your opponent would likely be one) who would pretty much ignore defense, and just try to get all 10 of their runners across plate every inning. also give less chances for situational baserunning/hitting. we rarely ended in ties, winner was normally team that got at least a co uple of non run limit defensive half innings.

May 2, 2018
Central Virginia
Our rec rules for 10U were both, 3 outs or the 10 batter rule, whichever comes first. The 10 batter rule pretty much equates to the 5-6 run limit.

Lets face it, pitching in 10U rec is a crap shoot. It is basically a walk/steal game. I can't even fathom how you could not have a 10 batter/run limit rule in place.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478