10u practice format

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 26, 2019
It appears that the leage is still looking for a coach for my daughters 10u team. I was hoping some other sucker would volunteer, but that hasn’t happened yet so I may end up doing it. We do t have an 8u program, no season last year so I will have a bunch of 10u kids some of which are second year 10u having never played a game so far, with only a week or two of practice before games.
How often? How long?
I was thinking one night would be batting cage night with kids rotating through at staggered times with pitchers and catchers practice at the same time rotating as well, then one team practice per week but Open to suggestions.
I am also wondering how to split time or structure practice, really looking to avoid wasted time and try to at least get the girls to have a basic understanding by time we start playing games.(and even that seems like a lofty goal at this point lol)

May 6, 2015
not certain how much experience you have, I was basically in same boat about 8 years ago (wow how time flies). learn from my mistakes.

#1 you will need help, recruit at least 2 ACs who will work with you (not against you).

#2 spend a lot of times at skill stations, 2-4 girls each (which is why you need ACs), not so much full field practice. if they do not have a foundation in the skills involved (fielding, throwing, catching) no way they execute a play.

do three practices a week until games start if you can. guarantee someone has a conflict at least one of the practice times. 90 minutes (for this age, I would not go beyond this). keep them moving (keeps em interested and semifocused, best you can hope for at that age).

FUNdamentals, FUNdamentals, and oh yeah, FUNdamentals,

KISS. do not speak for more than 45 seconds straight at any time. explain drill, demonstrate, run it, repeat. If you cannot explain it in less than a minute, they will not undeerstand it. explaining it multiple times will make it worse. (this was probably my biggest problem, tending to get long and tedious in talking to the girls).

with very little experience, drill into them when in doubt, throw to 1B. you may give up some lead runners and runs, but you will get outs. that is the key with the type of team you are describing, get outs, even if you sacrifice runs. nothing worse than the half inning that will not end because teams keep trying to get lead runners instead of easier outs. crawl, then walk, then run.

ask parents to watch if not an AC, so they can see what to work with their DDs on on non practice days (do not ask them to do it, talk like you assume they already know they need to do it).

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
This gentleman has a number of YouTube videos that may help.

Jun 26, 2019
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I have not checked out the vid yet bit I will be sure to do so bigskihi. I have been watching kent murphy and domingo ayala videos to learn.
As far as assistants, we have one that offered to help, a dad that has a girl on this team and is head coach of a bb team but did not want hc to two teams at once, I also have another mom that I think would be a good helper as her work schedule allows but I have not spoke with her yet.

Jul 28, 2020
Keep em moving, standing around or listening to diatribes isn't goint to do it. Best practices have 4 coaches/parents running stations. Break the game into pieces. You can have basic infield drills going while others practice pop flies and a third group hits tee drills.

Once you get past basics I like to break situations like 1st and 3rd into a game for the whole team. Make a running team versus a fielding team (they need to understand both sides). Make a point system, keep track and then switch sides.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Keep em moving, standing around or listening to diatribes isn't goint to do it. Best practices have 4 coaches/parents running stations. Break the game into pieces. You can have basic infield drills going while others practice pop flies and a third group hits tee drills.

Once you get past basics I like to break situations like 1st and 3rd into a game for the whole team. Make a running team versus a fielding team (they need to understand both sides). Make a point system, keep track and then switch sides.
Sounds like fun and you end up with a monster team? :devilish:

Attitude.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802