10U player - looking for input

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2017
I would only use the neck slot position, to fix a bad hand/bat slot, which she doesn't really have.

View attachment 23869

The rear forearm is flat (great), the bat head is roughly 50 deg (great). Her hands are a little too far away from the armpit (not good, leads to a little drag after hip slot)

The stride is a slight reach, but not too bad.
Appreciate the input.

Oct 19, 2017
Quick update. Although we practice regularly, we have not been making many changes to her swing. Mainly because I am not sure which path we should take.

• We've used the neck slot quite a bit but I've noticed she's not keeping her hands back like she used to.
    • I've also encouraged her to use it during live pitching and games but she's very hesitant since it "looks different than other girls"...
  • During front toss, she's early on most pitches. Usually a pop-ups or a slow roller to 3rd and SS. Other times she hits the ball very hard to 2nd base but we have not figured out how to do that consistently.
  • She's struggling a bit in games but mostly due to timing (imho). She is simply not getting to toe-touch early enough and is rushing through her swing. We work a lot on the command drill and I think she looks great but she's worried about starting too early.
    • Also during games, her front shoulder flies open ahead of her hips so we need to work on proper sequence. I am sure it's related to the above.
  • I'd like to introduce coiling and resistance. Please feel free to share any videos that easily explain it.
  • I think we need less tee work and more front toss.
Here are a few recent videos:

Using Neck Slot:

Regular Swing:

Most recent swing. Noticed her back foot moving back during this swing. Never noticed it before...could be the shoes.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017
Quick update. Although we practice regularly, we have not been making many changes to her swing. Mainly because I am not sure which path we should take.

• We've used the neck slot quite a bit but I've noticed she's not keeping her hands back like she used to.
    • I've also encouraged her to use it during live pitching and games but she's very hesitant since it "looks different than other girls"...
  • During front toss, she's early on most pitches. Usually a pop-ups or a slow roller to 3rd and SS. Other times she hits the ball very hard to 2nd base but we have not figured out how to do that consistently.
  • She's struggling a bit in games but mostly due to timing (imho). She is simply not getting to toe-touch early enough and is rushing through her swing. We work a lot on the command drill and I think she looks great but she's worried about starting too early.
    • Also during games, her front shoulder flies open ahead of her hips so we need to work on proper sequence. I am sure it's related to the above.
  • I'd like to introduce coiling and resistance. Please feel free to share any videos that easily explain it.

Using Neck Slot:

Regular Swing:

Most recent swing. Noticed her back foot moving back during this swing. Never noticed it before...could be the shoes.

Not bad at all! i wouldn't do to much at all at the moment. The one thing that is a simple thing to work on and would make a improvement. Is to not let the rear knee go outside the rear foot. I personally don't have a issue with a lateral rear movement, it just needs to be small and not cause the rear knee to go outside. We want to load against the rear leg not over and outside of it. Hope that helps!

Oct 19, 2017
Not bad at all! i wouldn't do to much at all at the moment. The one thing that is a simple thing to work on and would make a improvement. Is to not let the rear knee go outside the rear foot. I personally don't have a issue with a lateral rear movement, it just needs to be small and not cause the rear knee to go outside. We want to load against the rear leg not over and outside of it. Hope that helps!

gotcha. Thank you!

Aug 20, 2017

Using Neck Slot:

Regular Swing:

The negative move is causing timing issues. It’s too big

Oct 2, 2017

Using Neck Slot:

Regular Swing:

Didn't take out any windows hitting the ball over the net in the backyard? :ROFLMAO:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802