10U player - looking for input

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2017
What size is the bat? I ask because as I think back with my DD, i know for a fact that i didn't want to keep buying bats every year as she grew, so i bought a size or two too big. Now i think that did her no favors as her body tried to over compensate for that heavier bat that she could swing correctly. It looks like your DD kinda uses the bats weight to get it around, dumping slightly and not being able to control the barrel from a hands standpoint which is why it rolls and spins around the body with little control. Just my opinion but maybe try a lighter bat and see what type of form she has.

I never really thought that forearm strength was that important even though it is a major metric with ODM Measurements, but now i realize my DD really does need it to hold on and manipulate the barrel. Just my 2 pennies, and i agree with the others, she really does look very good. much better than my DD at that age. I def waited too long to start trying to fix things. Good luck.
Good point. In the video she is using a 2022 Ghost 30/20 she was gifted which I find a bit end-loaded (overall weight is really close to sticker).

Recently she’s been using a Demarini Vendetta 30/18 and seeing more success.

Oct 19, 2017
I really like going to a neck slot swing for young or newwer players just starting.. Some can call it a bandaide because it still has its issues, but I do think it gets beginner players to start feeling the use of the body better to generate the power needed in the swing. You can supplement it with teaching to use the hands as well.

I think she is doing a good job of having some sequence. Of the upper working back during the forward move. Don't coach that out.
Thank you. Any examples of a neck slot swing? Not a term I am familiar with.

Jun 8, 2016
Thank you. Any examples of a neck slot swing? Not a term I am familiar with.
Here is a 6 YO just resting it on his shoulder to start

and the same 6 YO with more of a neck slot setup

just for reference what it might look like for your 8/9 YO 🤣

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
I would only use the neck slot position, to fix a bad hand/bat slot, which she doesn't really have.

2021-0917-slot.JPG

The rear forearm is flat (great), the bat head is roughly 50 deg (great). Her hands are a little too far away from the armpit (not good, leads to a little drag after hip slot)

The stride is a slight reach, but not too bad.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812