10U player - looking for input

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Pretty nice for her age. If I was you, I would do 2 things. 1 try and keep the chest over , 2 Keep your head and eyes in the fire or action. Above all keep it simple. Also try and video more live swing, front toss and games. It will give a better feel for where she is at to direct what is needed during Bp.

She starts with her head and eyes in the fire/action

View attachment 23853

Ends with her head and eyes out out of the action. Forcing her to sort of look out of the corner of her eyes.

View attachment 23854
Great pics. This is one of the most common problems that is not often talked about. If she fixes this, she will be better than most. This is worth 100 point gain in her BA.

Oct 2, 2017
Great pics. This is one of the most common problems that is not often talked about. If she fixes this, she will be better than most. This is worth 100 point gain in her BA.
A pretty cool cue I've heard to somewhat help with the idea, is the hands/bat doesn't chase your face, the hands/bat swings across your face.

Last edited:

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
What size is the bat? I ask because as I think back with my DD, i know for a fact that i didn't want to keep buying bats every year as she grew, so i bought a size or two too big. Now i think that did her no favors as her body tried to over compensate for that heavier bat that she could swing correctly. It looks like your DD kinda uses the bats weight to get it around, dumping slightly and not being able to control the barrel from a hands standpoint which is why it rolls and spins around the body with little control. Just my opinion but maybe try a lighter bat and see what type of form she has.

I never really thought that forearm strength was that important even though it is a major metric with ODM Measurements, but now i realize my DD really does need it to hold on and manipulate the barrel. Just my 2 pennies, and i agree with the others, she really does look very good. much better than my DD at that age. I def waited too long to start trying to fix things. Good luck.

Oct 2, 2017
I really like going to a neck slot swing for young or newwer players just starting.. Some can call it a bandaide because it still has its issues, but I do think it gets beginner players to start feeling the use of the body better to generate the power needed in the swing. You can supplement it with teaching to use the hands as well.

I think she is doing a good job of having some sequence. Of the upper working back during the forward move. Don't coach that out.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Nice swing. I have a theory that kids start out with decent swings, then adults tell them things to screw them up (go to a Tball practice and listen/watch). Almost every cue/drill in hitting is wrong or backwards.

Maybe avoid ideas from others. Go to a small field and learn to hit balls over a fence. Get as close to the fence as you need to hit them over. Then back away a little at a a time.

FYI: my skinny 8yo used a 19oz bat

Oct 2, 2017
Nice swing. I have a theory that kids start out with decent swings, then adults tell them things to screw them up (go to a Tball practice and listen/watch). Almost every cue/drill in hitting is wrong or backwards.

Maybe avoid ideas from others. Go to a small field and learn to hit balls over a fence. Get as close to the fence as you need to hit them over. Then back away a little at a a time.

FYI: my skinny 8yo used a 19oz bat
In all seriousness, what age do you think a player should start taking on instructions?

Oct 2, 2017
They are getting 'instructions' from coaches and Dads and other kids every day. Most of it is bad.
Ok let me be more precise, formal instruction to understand how the swing works, such as a hitting coach. Also since the vast majority of "hitting instruction" is bad, then what counts as good?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee