10U 4 month progress

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 13, 2018
My daughter has been seeing a wonderful instructor since the beginning of fall ball this past season. She’s a second year 10U pitched a little last year but mostly just what I could teach her in the back yard (which wasn’t a ton, obviously)

Anyway I have a comparison video between September and last week, 4 months of lessons and practices. Has a long way to go but the improvement is incredible.

When people here say to get a real pitching instructor, this is why!

Oct 4, 2018
Much better. Keep it up. My 5 steps for new pitchers:

1. Get an instructor
2. Keep it fun
3. Be prepared to work hard, many days per week
4. Get an instructor
5. Get an instructor

Aug 13, 2018
Does he teach a stepping style? Or is this just how your daughter pitches right now?
Could you explain this a bit for the more dense here (me for example!)

So my daughter used to do a step back but it was screwing up her timing so her instructor switched it to a start back approach. She’s been working with her on her stride now, it’s the weakest part of her delivery, I think, although it’s better now than a couple months ago. Is that what you’re talking about or something else?

Anything in the video is going to be a “right now” thing. We’re planning on being in it for a long time, so there’s a lot of improvement to go. I just thought the improvement over the past 4 months was really good. Can’t wait to see what she looks like come April/May when games start up!

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Stepping style,

giphy.gif

Driving drag,

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2018
She’s getting her to get to a more driving drag style. It’s just taking a while (and my DD is a bit hard headed). She drives a lot more in the second video than the first, even if it’s not that much yet.

*edit* and thank you for the videos!

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Cat Osterman started as a stepper.

I see the changes. Looking good, the motion isn’t complicated, but kids make it look like it is sometimes.

As she learns how to use the lowerbody. AND a large part of that is posture (being able to unlock the hips to hinge) Right now she just strides with the weight/joints stacked back. Basic Goata the rear gets behind rib cage. I’m doing lots of one legged drills these days.

The Amanda video is a sprinters mentality. Advanced stuff.

Nov 18, 2015
In the "what I learned today" category - again looking at the b&w gif - focusing on bringing the knees together may be more effective than trying to get them to correct a drag foot that's swinging too far behind them.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28