“Off-season” throwing routine - stay sharp or just rest?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
My daughter is the #2/3 pitcher on her team (that I coach). It’s perfect for her long term development IMO. She pitches enough to make it worth putting in time and effort to get better, but not enough that she never gets to develop at other positions. Most of us agre the best pitchers at 10U and 12U aren’t the best at 16U and 18U. I don’t want my daughter pitching so much she can’t do anything else because she spent so much time pitching.

A small piece of me dies every time I see a 10U or 12U pitcher spend team practice time pitching while the other girls hit or take ground balls/fly balls.

Well said. We spent 2 years being P1 and it was a blast. Did a lot for her confidence and development.

New team starts this month, and she's coming on as P3. If we come to learn she likes being a P1 more, she can bust her rear to try to be P1 on this team, or find a different team. My gut tells me she'll enjoy being part of a pitching staff and contributing in many ways. We'll see...

Jul 27, 2015
This is good advice if you are going to take time off you have to slowly ramp it back up or the time off will actually increase injury risk if you don’t. Curious what she did other than throwing in that time off or was it total rest?
I did not let her do anything. No throwing overhand or underhand. No weight lifting. Nothing.

Somewhere around 10th grade, she convinced me to let her run on the treadmill after 3 or so weeks off. But we still did not do any throwing.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
It depends so much on the individual player. DD has both shutdown and worked her butt off. Depends on her mood, I never pushed her either way. She just needed to stay active, socially or physically. She was not allowed to stay in her room all day.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802