You Ever Have One of Those Nights...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
My DD is 13yo and a control pitcher. Has average velocity for her age but above average control and a change up. Gets outs on a lot of weak contact, relying on her defense. In nearly 55 IP in her Rec League (she also plays travel), she walked a total of 8 batters this spring. Well, last night, in the Rec League semi-final game she walked a total of 6(!), including walking in a run late in the game. Game is still tied in extra innings (9) and will be resumed tonight (called for time last night).

It could be fatigue (she's pitched about 120 innings so far this spring between travel and rec--the most she ever has--though only 5 so far of last night's game) and, of course, anyone can have an off night. That said, she was really struggling at times with the umpire's strike zone (very tight zone) and, in the past, whenever she has walked more than one or two batters in a game it has had something to do with a bad ump/zone and her resulting frustration from that. Last night, there were definitely more than a few pitches called balls where I was like, where did that miss? Was sort of crazy. I guess I am scratching my head because it is so counter to expectations--I would have had an easier time with her giving up a string of hits (though outcome might have been worse. LOL.). Anyway, I'd welcome any perspective and any thoughts about what I can tell her to make sure her confidence stays high because she'll be back out there pitching tonight...

Jul 14, 2018
DD is exactly the same pitcher -- all control, average velocity at best. She typically throws less than 10 balls out of the strike zone in a game. This weekend, she came out for an elimination game and just didn't have it. Deep counts, couple of walks, even two wild pitches. Team lost the game.

I told her to forget about it, some days you just don't have your good stuff. Tell your daughter that the delay is a gift: it's unlikely she'll come out two days in a row and not have her usual command. New day, new game. Good luck!!

May 20, 2016
Key thing in your piece is she is 13YO. Mine is turning 13 next month. She'll go 3 months without plunking a batter then hits 3 in one game. Will average 1 walk a game over two consecutive weekends, then walk 5 in one game.

None of the games they play at this age really matter. It's all a learning curve. Heck guys that are making millions of dollars a year have those kind of games in MLB. Just the way it is.

My go to after a bad game is to take my DD out for ice cream afterwards and tell her to keep working hard. Not bother talking about walks or hits as it was not her intention in the first place.

Apr 12, 2015
Every human being on the planet has the occasional bad day at work.

Get her and those around her to understand that.

No one is defined by a single performance whether it be great or not so great.

Whenever my DD has a bad time in the circle, I don't mention it at all. I do stress that her character and bearing no matter what is far more important to me than her ability to generate outs. I find it important when they've had a rough time and confidence is thin to remind them of the bigger picture. The last thing you want to do is make the poor performance a "thing". No one in the world knows better than your DD that the performance wasn't good. She doesn't need to be reminded of it.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2017
If she has grown or picked up speed it could cause her to lose a little control. A friend told me a long time ago that until she stops growing you will have issues. His DD is 6.1 and throws 60 at 14. Best in our area at her age. Control and spin are her strengths.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
My DD is 13yo and a control pitcher. .
Anyway, I'd welcome any perspective and any thoughts about what I can tell her to make sure her confidence stays high because she'll be back out there pitching tonight...

Perspective?

Sure....keep your mouth shut. If she wants to talk about it, then tell her the truth. The truth is she pitched poorly last night. And there is nothing she can do about it. The only thing she can do is pitch better tonight.

Whatever you do, don't blame the umpire, the other team, the rain, the wind, the moon, whatever. A pitcher has to believe that she is in control of the game, and that winning or losing is up to to her. She is in control of her own destiny.

Other helpful words:

1) Too bad, too bad. Someone has to win and someone has to lose.
2) Nobody in Anchorage, Alaska cares.
3) Do you want sprinkles on your ice cream?

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018
Stuff Happens!
It’s not the norm so let It go. If it keeps happening let’s talk about it. Give her a hug. Let her know you understand and tomorrow is another day. Period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 13, 2017
Be careful about using bad umpires and strike zones as a reason. My DD is second year 14u, and we’ve seen strike zones in many shapes and sizes. I always stress to her that she needs to be flexible and adjust to the strike zone the umpire is calling in that particular game.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
Thanks to all for the feedback. Probably helps me more than her. 😂 We leave for the game shortly. Her spirits are good and she is ready to go for Round 2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802