Worst Loss?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
So I only play social league but just had the most heartbreaking loss. Up in semi final for my social league by 7 runs. Went into final dig. Struck the first two out. We then went on and lost....

3 errors and 4 catchable hits. I was so heartbroken I couldn’t even cry. And one of the few games I’ve walked off going ‘I did everything’

So what’s your heartbreaking losses and most importantly how did you come back?

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
When I was AC and HC had to leave team for family reasons. Took over team. We were down 9-0 and I went to mound, called in the whole team and told the girls every one of them were better than what they were playing. I told them I could yell at them, but I knew they knew their mistakes and it was time they hit. We lost 10-9 and and those girls played their hearts out for each other. We all cried after the game and only lost two more games that fall. It was the best time I ever had coaching a team.

I learned if you hold girls accountable and love them at the same time, they will run through walls for you.

Feb 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Ohio Hot Stove F league state championship as a 13-14 yo. First inning, I led off, was sac'd to 2b, and scored on a hit. A good start. They tied it in the 3rd. Then great pitching and tight defense for both teams took over for the next 16 innings. Top of the 19th inning, 4.5 hours later, they got a runner on, then we had an error and they went up 3-1. If we'd gone 20 innings, they were going to call it a draw. Still the longest game in Hot Stove history I believe.

Jun 12, 2015
When I was AC and HC had to leave team for family reasons. Took over team. We were down 9-0 and I went to mound, called in the whole team and told the girls every one of them were better than what they were playing. I told them I could yell at them, but I knew they knew their mistakes and it was time they hit. We lost 10-9 and and those girls played their hearts out for each other. We all cried after the game and only lost two more games that fall. It was the best time I ever had coaching a team.

I learned if you hold girls accountable and love them at the same time, they will run through walls for you.

That sounds like an awesome loss. We had a similar baseball game when my older daughter was playing. They had us something like 10 or 11 to nothing, and they came back and finished it just one run behind. It sucked to not pull off the win but the comeback was so exciting it was hard to be too disappointed.

The worse losses are always the ones to the poor sports. You know the coaches (and their teams usually follow suit) who don't know how to either win or lose with grace. I hate playing those teams, whatever the final score.

Jul 15, 2015
I think I've posted this one before:

A few years ago and it was bottom of the last inning, we are visitors and up by a run. Two outs and they have runners on 3rd and 2nd. Ground ball to first base about 2 feet from bag, our player fields it cleanly and then decides to throw home instead of just touching the bag. Overthrows the catcher and both runners score. Every time my DD plays in that complex and I see that field, I still think about it.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
One I will never forget. We have been playing a team from a bigger named Organization since 10U, they would beat us 15-0 that first year. As we grew older the scores were closer but still they would end up beating us. Now at 14 during the State Tournament we drew this team for the first game. We came out hot and scored 2 runs in the 1st, 3 runs in the 2nd, and 2 more in the 4th. We were holding a 7-0 lead. The other team had their heads down and really looked defeated. In the 5th with 2 outs they scored 8 runs, ended up beating us 10-7... That 5th inning was tough with like 7 errors, our F4 had 4 errors (3 pop ups, and 1 overthrow to 1B).... Hard not to forget this one.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
So I only play social league but just had the most heartbreaking loss. Up in semi final for my social league by 7 runs. Went into final dig. Struck the first two out. We then went on and lost....

3 errors and 4 catchable hits. I was so heartbroken I couldn’t even cry. And one of the few games I’ve walked off going ‘I did everything’

So what’s your heartbreaking losses and most importantly how did you come back?

Sounds like a game my daughter played about 9 years ago.
They are up 5 going into last inning. Get the first two batters out no problem.
I'm working field duty that day so my job is to break down and roll up the portable home run fence so I walk out to LF to get ready to do so.
about 12 batters later I'm back in the stands and they go do down 1-2-3 in the bottom of the inning.
Breaking down the fence that day was no fun.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Down by 1 run in a bracket game. Runners at 1B and 3B. Leadoff batter at the plate with 0 outs (top of the lineup has been hitting well all day, and everyone is feeling like we've got this made). Coach gives "take" to the batter, and "steal" to the runner at 1B. Pitch is a meatball, and batter swings. Fly ball to RF, caught (1 out). Throw to 1B to double off the runner who left on the pitch (2 outs). Ball comes back to the circle. Runner at 3B loses her balance and steps off the base (3 outs, game over).

That was over 4 years ago in 10U rec select. It still burns.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28