What would be considered a good ball to strike ratio for a 14u pitcher.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 14, 2016
I have started scoring on game changer so this is the 1st time that I have seen her stats broke down. She was throwing about 40 strikes to 20 balls. I thought that was pretty good but not sure how that compares. Of course I know that is only 1 stat to look at. Just thought it was interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I have started scoring on game changer so this is the 1st time that I have seen her stats broke down. She was throwing about 40 strikes to 20 balls. I thought that was pretty good but not sure how that compares. Of course I know that is only 1 stat to look at. Just thought it was interesting.

That's within the range of normal. It's not a particularly meaningful stat. Most pitchers are going to be in the 60's. If you're lower than that, you're probably walking too many people. If you're higher than that, you're probably either dominating (ie, too good for the level), or you're giving up too many hits and need to keep more balls out of the strike zone. You can always improve your strike/ball ratio by throwing everything down the middle, but your effectiveness is very likely to suffer.

Also, keep in mind that GameChanger is defining strikes as (1) called strikes, (2) swings and misses, (3) foul balls and (4) balls put into play. It is not gauging how many pitches are in the strike zone. It's basically the percentage of pitches that are not called balls.

Jun 14, 2016
True, she did not have many walks and she works the corners so everything she throws will not be strikes. I just found it interesting to see some of her stats broke down. She actually did very well pitching, not many hits.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
True, she did not have many walks and she works the corners so everything she throws will not be strikes. I just found it interesting to see some of her stats broke down. She actually did very well pitching, not many hits.

As I stated in a similar thread recently, I believe that each pitcher has an optimal first-strike PCT, which is unique to them. And even that number would change a little depending on the quality of a team, or even the quality of a specific batter. If she's facing a beginner, she might as well throw everything down the middle and just strike her out. If she's facing Jessica Mendoza, it's a risk to accrue even one strike (assuming your DD is not also a pro.) First-strike PCT doesn't measure effectiveness as much as it measures style and strategy.

Jun 14, 2016
Looking at her stats she averaged about 2 hits and 4 strikeouts a game. I wouldn't call it dominant but she was very effective. I found she was locating her curveball really well for strikes and getting girls to swing out of the zone.

Apr 12, 2015
My DD recently played a team that could not lay off a pitch at chin height. So I called high all game. My DD ended up with an outrageous strike/ball ratio, something like 51 strikes, 11 balls, and I don't think she put a single pitch in a real strike zone.

Its a nice stat, but like all stats, the context behind the numbers is equally important.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2