What type change up is this?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
There are flip changes. They are very difficult to master. You won't see many of them as most will give it up and move to an easier to throw change-up before they become proficient at it.

The Pauly clip is not a flip change. It is the simple change-up that Rick teaches. The hand turn ending in a "cat's claw" is to shut down any whipping action.

In my opinion this is the easiest and most effective change-up.

My DD had to switch to a flip change her Junior year at SC to compliment her rise. It was not easy for her. Any CU needs to look like another one of your better pitches. If you do not have a rise attempting a flip change is not an effective use of time. It is best if your CU is not a unique pitch but an existing pitch that you learn to throw off speed.

Apr 28, 2014
So is Yukiko’s the same pitch then? Just curious if there are any examples of a flip out there? Or is this the same thing as the elusive rise ball rising?

Check out this video at :50
This is my DD's Flip.. The pitch right before this one was a rise ball. DD's tries to make them hard to differentiate.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
This is my DD's Flip.. The pitch right before this one was a rise ball. DD's tries to make them hard to differentiate.

Thanks. How is it thrown? Do you have any close up slow mo video? Looking to try and teach my DD a good change. Thanks.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin

Thanks again BT, just looked at the video on a larger screen. First is the Change up and second is the pitch before which you stated was a rise ball.

On the Change, i am not sure it is actually getting around to a flip. I think that my DD does the same thing and is more of a palm change, in that she slams her forearm into her thigh and slows the motion down without as much finger action at the end. It's probably a good thing that she has the IR going, but not a good thing trying to throw a change. I think it has to be done farther up-stream to get the ball not up at 9, like someone earlier said pointing the thumb down. Just not sure if anyone has a good screen shot of a 'Flip" change.

i grabbed a link of a Lisa Fernandez change up as well which i always thought was a flip, but now looks like the same as Pauly.

Lisa Fernandez change

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
My DD had to switch to a flip change her Junior year at SC to compliment her rise. It was not easy for her. Any CU needs to look like another one of your better pitches. If you do not have a rise attempting a flip change is not an effective use of time. It is best if your CU is not a unique pitch but an existing pitch that you learn to throw off speed.

Hopefully i am not coming off as rude, but was your DD's flip the same as Pauly's? Just don't want to start down a direction that really isn't possible. I am just assuming that the ball is already released from the fingers like the Pauly video, and the 'Flip' is really more of a follow through action? Which I don't mind, just want to make sure the initial motion and release are correct. Was her grip more in the palm or more on the fingers? Thanks again.

Apr 28, 2014
Thanks again BT, just looked at the video on a larger screen. First is the Change up and second is the pitch before which you stated was a rise ball.

On the Change, i am not sure it is actually getting around to a flip. I think that my DD does the same thing and is more of a palm change, in that she slams her forearm into her thigh and slows the motion down without as much finger action at the end. It's probably a good thing that she has the IR going, but not a good thing trying to throw a change. I think it has to be done farther up-stream to get the ball not up at 9, like someone earlier said pointing the thumb down. Just not sure if anyone has a good screen shot of a 'Flip" change.

i grabbed a link of a Lisa Fernandez change up as well which i always thought was a flip, but now looks like the same as Pauly.

View attachment 14070

View attachment 14071

Lisa Fernandez change
Sorry
I meant to that batter at :50 the pitch prior (not on film) was rise.
There are a few rises in the video
My DD uses same grip for rise and change. With change she rotates her hand to a flip to add revolutions and slow the ball down

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802