What type change up is this?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
I am trying to work with DD on what I think is a flip change and am not sure I have been able to find a slow mo video of one. What type is Sarah Pauly’s ? Does anyone have video of each type and grips? Or is there a thread out there I am missing? Thanks.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Watch when the ball is released in your video. There is no such thing as a flip change up IMO. Instead the fingers get to the side of the ball, a horse shoe is created with the hand (thumb and pointer finger lead). The fingers are not behind the ball and the thumb/pointer finger lead at release taking away some of the whip and snap. That is what takes speed off the ball. Forget about the flip and go with the horse shoe leading.

Release the ball and create the horse shoe (fingers get on the outside of the ball) exactly like the video you posted shows.

There is no such thing as a flip change up.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Watch when the ball is released in your video. There is no such thing as a flip change up IMO. Instead the fingers get to the side of the ball, a horse shoe is created with the hand (thumb and pointer finger lead). The fingers are not behind the ball and the thumb/pointer finger lead at release taking away some of the whip and snap. That is what takes speed off the ball. Forget about the flip and go with the horse shoe leading.

Release the ball and create the horse shoe (fingers get on the outside of the ball) exactly like the video you posted shows.

There is no such thing as a flip change up.

Thanks Shawn, I was leaning towards that assumption of no flip. Maybe another feel vs reality thing. Appreciate the input.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
There's nothing wrong with turning the hand over as part of the follow through (ball is gone already). Just like a turning over drop it helps keep the ball down, turning the hand over. Again that is a good video to copy that you posted.

Apr 12, 2015
There are flip changes. They are very difficult to master. You won't see many of them as most will give it up and move to an easier to throw change-up before they become proficient at it.

The Pauly clip is not a flip change. It is the simple change-up that Rick teaches. The hand turn ending in a "cat's claw" is to shut down any whipping action.

In my opinion this is the easiest and most effective change-up.

Jul 3, 2018
If anyone can give a complete breakdown of this pitch, grip, etc....it would be most appreciated. I’ve looked at this clip of Sarah several times but my mind can’t wrap my head around it.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Grip like a drop ball or fast ball (basic 3 fingers across a long seam)
Have stiff rigid fingers.
As the ball crosses over the top and starts downward into 9:00, orient the tip of the thumb downward as this will aid in getting the ball ahead of the elbow removing any whip. Rick calls this the "crook" as it refers to the slight forward bend in the elbow.
At this point, use the shoulder to shove the ball forward very quickly.
The hand will now naturally move up and over towards the opposite shoulder with the fingers and hand resembling a cats paw.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2014
There are flip changes. They are very difficult to master. You won't see many of them as most will give it up and move to an easier to throw change-up before they become proficient at it.

The Pauly clip is not a flip change. It is the simple change-up that Rick teaches. The hand turn ending in a "cat's claw" is to shut down any whipping action.

In my opinion this is the easiest and most effective change-up.

Rick taught my DD his change up in one afternoon. It's her best pitch.
Combined with a good rise and HS kids are overmatched