what size of bat?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
obbay... I just read that whole article trying to figure out my DD's optimum bat weight, turns out she needs a 29oz bat. Man... I need a nap!

Sep 3, 2009
The snapping issue is why she and a lot of the girls on her team moved away from demarinini. When 80LB little girls can send parts of those bats flying through the infield that isn't good.

Lemme guess, Vendettas? There was an issue with those, luckily their composites don't have that same problem.

Oct 17, 2009
You guys are right it was the Vendettas.LOL, I keep wanting her to try a CF4 but she loves the stealth.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
obbay... I just read that whole article trying to figure out my DD's optimum bat weight, turns out she needs a 29oz bat. Man... I need a nap!
Yeah, my DD was at 28oz and then I found the LL Baseball numbers seemed more appropriate for girls of those given age groups. and then they seemed a little light.... no matter what any chart says, bats are a personal choice. weight . length, type of bat, brand, it goes on and on.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2010
It says my 11yo should be swinging a 29oz bat. I'm not sure if she could pick up a bat that heavy...lol

Oct 25, 2009
:confused:

I coach a 16U team and am "manager" of the organization's 18U team. The girls I have coached in the last few years understand that bigger bats don't mean bigger hits. Some of the new girls this year want to use 34/28 bats and they really can't handle them but they say things like "last year I hit fine with them". Last year they played in what would be '"select ball" and the pitchers probably couldn't get the speed up to 50 and their swings reflect that. I have some time and can hopefully change their swings for the better.

The 18U coach wonders why I would purchase a 33/23 bat for that team. Some of the girls aren't that big (5' 3" to 5' 5") and wouldn't be able to handle a bigger bat IMHO. Last season, for the most part the 16U team used 32/22 and 33/22 or 23 with a few exceptions.

My question is what size bats are most 16U and 18U teams using? I realize that bats are an individual preference, but there must be an "average" size for girls at this age. I seem to recall that most college girls are using 33" bats and some 32"? :D

Any advice relative to how I convince these girls to use lighter and livelier bats? My 15 Y/O uses Demarini CF4 black 32/22 and my 17 Y/O uses an Easton CXN (something like that) 33/23. They both handle the bat well. Some of these girls and their parents don't want to listen - imagine that! :rolleyes:

I just found out yesterday one of our HS seniors is using a 34/26. I had wondered the last couple of games why she didn't seem to have the pop she had last year. She's a small (5'6"), but strong, senior. Right at a 100 lbs. She should be using a 33/23 oz. max.

Kids (and parents) believe if they can hit the pitch the bat isn't too heavy. That's a big mistake! Just because they can put a bat into the path of the ball doesn't mean the ball is going anywhere. I could put a five pound bat in the path of a ball thrown by Cat Osterman (maybe) but the only distance would be the bounce of the ball off the bat. Might even get past the infield.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2010
Ohio
Yeah, my DD was at 28oz and then I found the LL Baseball numbers seemed more appropriate for girls of those given age groups. and then they seemed a little light.... no matter what any chart says, bats are a personal choice. weight . length, type of bat, brand, it goes on and on.

The Junior League calculation seems more appropriate to me. Using this calculation (height/3 +1), my 16 yo, 5'3" DD would be swinging a 22 oz bat, which is exactly what she swings (32" CF4 Black). I wonder if the fastpitch calculation is aimed at the college/pro level as many of them do swing 26-28 oz bats.

May 7, 2008
As to the original question. I find most high school players are using bats from 32/22 (younger smaller players) to 34/24 (older stronger players). The most common size is 33/23 for an "average 5-6 130-140#) player. I encourage them to use the heaviest bat they can swing well and quickly. I find the biggest problem with a "slow swing" is not the bat weight or size (except in extreme cases) but improper technique. Fix the technique and they can swing a big stick. Reality is the bigger the stick the furhter it goes.

My daughters college team ( not real big team) the smallest bat in the bag is a 33/23. Most use 33/24 or 34/24. The power hitters are using 34/24, 34/25 and 34/26(slowpitch) bats.

As is noted on a another post a very popular bat, the rocket techs, are heavy and end loaded, with the real scale weight coming in at the -7ish level. And people thinks its the design...lol...big bat equals far ball (presuming you hit it square!)

iMHO 16U Travel ball should not be swinging under a -10 weight. If they are hit the weights.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802