what size of bat?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 25, 2010
What do you consider "greater success"?
It would require a lot of assumptions to do any sort of analysis, but for the sake of argument, let's put the 2 different kids on identical teams, playing identical opponents under identical circumstances. The only difference between the kids is that one played with cheapo equipment from ages 8-12, while the other played with the expensive stuff. While this could never happen in reality, compare their batting averages 8-10 years later and then draw your conclusions.

Lhowser, it's still a large initial outlay for me, but I'll readily concede that point. There's not a whole lot of difference between $40 and $60 for a season.

Obbay, I'm a fan of sharing game bats.

BB875, can't put a pricetag on doing what we can to boost a child's confidence, but I'm not so naïve as to just accept that the bat was what made it happen. You're entitled to that belief, however, and I do hope that her success now will pay even larger dividends later.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
It would require a lot of assumptions to do any sort of analysis, but for the sake of argument, let's put the 2 different kids on identical teams, playing identical opponents under identical circumstances. The only difference between the kids is that one played with cheapo equipment from ages 8-12, while the other played with the expensive stuff. While this could never happen in reality, compare their batting averages 8-10 years later and then draw your conclusions.

Lhowser, it's still a large initial outlay for me, but I'll readily concede that point. There's not a whole lot of difference between $40 and $60 for a season.

BB875, can't put a pricetag on doing what we can to boost a child's confidence, but I'm not so naïve as to just accept that the bat was what made it happen. You're entitled to that belief, however, and I do hope that her success now will pay even larger dividends later.

My assumption would be that the girl with the 'cheapo equipment' probably would no longer be playing after 12.

Oct 17, 2009

You say they palyed 8-12 and then you want to compare their batting averages 8-10 years later? I dont understand that. Can my daughter go yard with her high dollar bat, no. Can those solid singles become doubles you betcha. I've swung both and I know that the stealth has a lot more pop than the 'el cheapos

May 8, 2009
Florida
IMO I see a lot of younger girls swinging bats that are too long, too heavy. All it does it teach them how not to swing with good mechanics. Same with the cost of the bat. A $300 stick wont make someone a good hitter. If you swing well, you will hit well. That is when you see the difference in bats.

Jan 31, 2011
...Can those solid singles become doubles you betcha. I've swung both and I know that the stealth has a lot more pop than the 'el cheapos

Jasonr, you just made the best point yet, turning those singles into doubles with a good bat. When I hit outfield to the girls I use her high end bat (I paid for it after all! lol) and you can tell the pop is simply amazing.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I tricked my DD into weighing herself, 60 pounds.

I am going to buy a 32/22 composite bat for her. I will teach her how to hit her new bat hard.

Side note: My DD is playing BB now, for some reason she quit softball.

DSC

Feb 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Why don't you have her try a few bats? I would think some girls on the team would let her give their bats a try. See what she is comfortable with and go from there. I see no way of having a hard and fast rule on bat selection. This is the individual aspect of the team sport. Just like a glove, what feels right to one is not necessarily going to be right for another.

I don't think anyone would argue against confidence being improved when the equipment feels right to them. OK, some might, but then I suspect you might find them arguing with a fence post as well.

My oldest (13) was in a rather large sporting goods store looking for a bat. She picked up everything from $30 to "Ain't no way!". She ended up purchasing an Easton Reflex 33"/21.5. She is about 5' and maybe 80lbs and can swing the bat well. I asked her why that one and she said,"It just feels right." Most of the girls on the team her size use that bat.

She bought the bat with her money and it is like her baby, but she does let others use it. And yes, she will bark at anyone who mistreats it.

Oct 17, 2009
Jasonr, you just made the best point yet, turning those singles into doubles with a good bat. When I hit outfield to the girls I use her high end bat (I paid for it after all! lol) and you can tell the pop is simply amazing.

BB, my daughters Stealth died on Sunday, may it RIP. I'll let you guess what I replaced it with today! LOL

Oct 17, 2009
Crack, I knew it was coming it didn't have the "sound" a stealth has always had. Was hoping to get another spring out of it but as luck would have it. LOL.
The snapping issue is why she and a lot of the girls on her team moved away from demarinini. When 80LB little girls can send parts of those bats flying through the infield that isn't good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478