What are parents thinking.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2017
So my wife tells me at last practice, another parent was trying to tell my DD how to do catch a ball, throw etc. Which my DD is pretty descent at. Well that parent proceeds to come over to my wife and say your DD is good but needs to do this and that to be better. What in the world. I'm all for giving and taking advice, but will not approach another parent and or their child and start telling them how to do something. The only way I would do that is if the Parent and or child asks for help. Sorry something that rubbed me the wrong way. Of course this is a parent that constantly is yelling out commands from the bleachers to all the kids. LOL

Sounds like you may have a mealy mouth! They know better than the coaches and they’ll start generating negativity amongst the team. I’ve seen it often! Watch him!

Jun 20, 2018
should I share insights with HC? I think part of the issue is he insists on doing book himself, is particular about it, so I think some things just are not noticed.

Oh no, HCs should never keep the book. Of course he misses a lot. In that case, I think you should say something. It's probably really annoying when parents share their insight with the coaches but it's more annoying when a HC isnt giving the girls their full attention.

May 6, 2015
Oh no, HCs should never keep the book. Of course he misses a lot. In that case, I think you should say something. It's probably really annoying when parents share their insight with the coaches but it's more annoying when a HC isnt giving the girls their full attention.

thanks, think I will, maybe tonite, it looks like he will also be AS coach. really good guy, was one of my AC few years ago (not in any way implying I taught him everything he knows, or how little I know, etc., I gave up coaching due to time).

Jun 12, 2015
Sounds like you may have a mealy mouth! They know better than the coaches and they’ll start generating negativity amongst the team. I’ve seen it often! Watch him!

giphy.gif

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
A couple years ago, I was holding an open field at the school. This was early in the fall, and most of the girls there were brand, brand new. Many of them below HS age (I used to include Middle School for Open Field, but now we do a separate club for them). Since it was Open Field, I wasn't doing any instruction beyond basic safety. Most of the girls couldn't throw.

So a random guy comes up to me. Tells me how he coaches. How he noticed a lot of the girls were throwing wrong (he was right about this, at least). Then proceeds to tell me how I should start them with wrist flicks. Nod and smile. Just nod and smile.

Apr 16, 2013
thanks, think I will, maybe tonite, it looks like he will also be AS coach. really good guy, was one of my AC few years ago (not in any way implying I taught him everything he knows, or how little I know, etc., I gave up coaching due to time).
Being totally honest with you, not saying this in a negative way at all. Next year, volunteer to coach. Leagues are often in need of parents that will coach and it's hard to beat a coach that wants to honestly help the kids. If you can't coach, then offer up your help any time you're available.

May 6, 2015
loved coaching, and probably will do so again at younger ages as DDs get older. could not these past two years with DD2s TB commitments.

I offered to help early on, did not seem keen on it during reg season (again, was not around at practices a whole lot, TB took priority, and HC understood, his older DD played TB and HS, senior, playing in college next year). may have been afraid of too many voices with girls, and stepping on toes of ACs who were there all the time. OK by me, I like watching as well ;) just kills me to see girls struggling when a couple little tweaks could really generate improvement (keeping head down rather than pulling head out to try and see where ball will go at plate, not moving back in box when facing faster than normal (for this league) pitching, etc.) I understand though, was coach previously in rec, it is hard to keep track of dozens of moving part that are a fastpitch team, especially for rec, where you have to be much more aware of safety issues, etc. than at higher levels (girls not as experienced/aware). one reason I never tried to keep book unless I absolutely had to.

Last edited:
May 9, 2019
I'd love to give advice to other players, but I'd probably teach them something incorrectly and make them worse lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802