What are parents thinking.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
So my wife tells me at last practice, another parent was trying to tell my DD how to do catch a ball, throw etc. Which my DD is pretty descent at. Well that parent proceeds to come over to my wife and say your DD is good but needs to do this and that to be better. What in the world. I'm all for giving and taking advice, but will not approach another parent and or their child and start telling them how to do something. The only way I would do that is if the Parent and or child asks for help. Sorry something that rubbed me the wrong way. Of course this is a parent that constantly is yelling out commands from the bleachers to all the kids. LOL

Sep 29, 2014
Yeah this is where you just teach your kids the smile and nod and just move on. There is usually one parent in the bunch although unfortunately in softball it seems most teams have two or three....LOL As long as it doesn't cross some line you have and is just an annoying nuisance just roll with it.

Feb 26, 2018
I give advice or my thoughts when asked, but other than that, I keep it to myself. I would never go up to another parent on our team and tell them how their DD should be catching or throwing... That's for the coach to handle, not me.

Jun 8, 2016
Make it a game. Start watching them, and you will see their blood vessels in their neck start to grow, then they start staring, then they lean forward, then they blurt out things. It's a blast to watch. Makes me giggle.
I sit too far away to see that. Last weekend was great. At the park they played at, you could park your car about 20 feet outside the CF fence and watch the whole game from there. If I didn't have to use the restroom, I wouldn't have even had to pay gate to get in.

Feb 19, 2016
Texas
Confession time:
I ran into this a couple of practices ago. Unfortunately, I was the interloper. I did not say anything to the player, and I approached the parent who I am acquainted with as quietly, privately, and as unassumingly as I know how. Her daughter short armed the ball all through practice, and the coaches didn't address it. I've seen this child throw a rocket from SS to 1st, and she's a very good player, so I was trying to mention a bad habit she'd picked up before it became ingrained. I felt bad about saying anything at the time, and I probably shouldn't have spoken up, but if someone spotted something that my daughter was doing, I'd want to know. I also wouldn't have said anything had I not felt the girl was one of the better players on the team. The parent's reaction was subdued, but she's hard to read anyway, so I don't know what she thought. I'll never mention it again, and I don't normally do anything but compliment the kids and parents. During the games I'm just there to cheer lead and fetch drinks to the dugout.

So there you go. Guilty as charged, and now you know everything that I was thinking at the time. I don't feel good about saying anything, but I would have felt worse not saying anything.

Oct 2, 2017
Confession time:
I ran into this a couple of practices ago. Unfortunately, I was the interloper. I did not say anything to the player, and I approached the parent who I am acquainted with as quietly, privately, and as unassumingly as I know how. Her daughter short armed the ball all through practice, and the coaches didn't address it. I've seen this child throw a rocket from SS to 1st, and she's a very good player, so I was trying to mention a bad habit she'd picked up before it became ingrained. I felt bad about saying anything at the time, and I probably shouldn't have spoken up, but if someone spotted something that my daughter was doing, I'd want to know. I also wouldn't have said anything had I not felt the girl was one of the better players on the team. The parent's reaction was subdued, but she's hard to read anyway, so I don't know what she thought. I'll never mention it again, and I don't normally do anything but compliment the kids and parents. During the games I'm just there to cheer lead and fetch drinks to the dugout.

So there you go. Guilty as charged, and now you know everything that I was thinking at the time. I don't feel good about saying anything, but I would have felt worse not saying anything.

Confession Accepted LOL

May 6, 2015
I am trying very hard to bite my tongue this season. I constantly see (in rec and travel) girls pulling their heads out / not tracking the ball all the way in (ie trying to see where they hit it before they make contact), been trying with mostly success not to say anything. In rec, also several of the girls are late against anything approaching fast pitching, resisting urge to tell them to move to back of box.

should I share insights with HC? I think part of the issue is he insists on doing book himself, is particular about it, so I think some things just are not noticed.

May 6, 2015
I also would love one or two practices with DDs rec team, but I keep my mouth shut mostly.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812