We are cheaters...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 6, 2018
Says the score keeper from our opponents team tonight in 8u dixie baseball. (Guess who won).

Here are the plays in question:

2 outs and a kid hits a rocket to right. Fastest kid in the league btw. Rounds first hard heading to second and the first baseman backs into him trying to get out of the way causing a hard collision with the defense laying on the runner (about 4 feet off 1b). Runner gets up after defense gets off him, he is disoriented but starts to second but by now the ball is in the cut offs hand in shallow right. He's ordered back and rf throws a prayer to first and he's tagged out.

I'll take your opinions on what should have happened on that.

Very next batter i throw an inside pitch almost hitting on of my kids. Then two straight swinging strikes. The score keeper on other team yelling that's strike three and we're cheating. I say that's just 2. She's hollering complaining and such. I pitch on...boom... kid hits a bomb to the fence. So glorious. Now we're really big cheaters i guess.

Same inning, 9th batter comes up. Our rule is that when you get it back to pitching circle the play is dead or any force out there inning is over. I verified that's how we're playing it. I mentionedto the coach that if the runner is more that halfway when the force out is made the run counts. Their coach said idk about that rule but reluctantly agreed. Then our kid hits it through the infield and he runs to second and 2bman stands on the bag causing him to slow down. Then he keeps going to third because he had run until an out made. Apparently, with my back turned, they get it to pitcher but he runs off the mound and tags my kid. Their coach sees me after the inning and says hey i thought we agreed that ball in the mound would kill the play. I said i was just running my kids until it was dead. I didn't see the pitcher had the ball at one point before running after my kid.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

May 29, 2015
What should have happened? It’s 8u ... who knows. 8u is the Wild West of baseball/softball.

“Just running my kids until it was dead.” :censored:

Mar 6, 2018
What should have happened? It’s 8u ... who knows. 8u is the Wild West of baseball/softball.

“Just running my kids until it was dead.” :censored:
That's the rule. The runner has to keep running until the play is dead. Meaning they get a force out or the pitcher has the ball in the circle.

Edit. Had i seen that they had the ball in the circle i would have stopped him. But i didn't see that.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2013
That's the rule. The runner has to keep running until the play is dead. Meaning they get a force out or the pitcher has the ball in the circle.

Edit. Had i seen that they had the ball in the circle i would have stopped him. But i didn't see that.

Who determines strikes and balls? If your inside pitch was called a strike, followed by two swinging strikes, yes, that's strike three.

So you have a house rule that you think you don't have to follow with the excuse you didn't initially see it? Yeah, that sounds fair.

A run doesn't count on a force play, no matter where the runner is when player crosses home.

Based on the info provided I'd say the ruling = cheater. This is 8U coach pitch. Does it really matter who wins?

Apr 16, 2013
8u... man I remember those days. Parents thought it was the end of the freaking world when things didn't go right. I still remember a parent going to the director of baseball complaining that twins on our team had swapped shirts in order to change the batting lineup. Some great lessons were certainly taught then. My DD and I coached a 12u LL baseball team this spring. The biggest thing we learned from the past and brought to the game with us was: HAVE FUN! Everyone played most all positions they wanted to play. We did our best to make practices informative, AND fun. Parents were all given a "coach's philosophy" print out at the beginning of the season that basically said we're not here to win, we're here to play a game and have fun.

Feb 19, 2016
Texas
If the kid didn't swing at the first pitch, and it's a five pitch league, then I don't understand why it would be strike 3 after two swinging strikes. There are only swinging strikes in the Dixie coach pitch rules that I'm familiar with. Generally, as I recall, the player gets 5 pitches or 3 swinging strikes. Keep swinging on foul balls with 2 strikes.

As for stopping the play, the umpire is supposed to call time when the ball gets to the mound, right? It's not the coaches responsibility. If the ball got to the mound, and the pitcher was in control, then time should have been called, and further running or tagging for that matter should be all irrelevant. And if your talking about the 9th batter of the inning where the inning ends no matter how many outs there are when the play is dead, then that runner should keep running until the play is over which is the batter is out, the third out happens, the ball gets to the mound, the kid stops, or the ball is sitting at home plate.

Mar 6, 2018
Who determines strikes and balls? If your inside pitch was called a strike, followed by two swinging strikes, yes, that's strike three.

So you have a house rule that you think you don't have to follow with the excuse you didn't initially see it? Yeah, that sounds fair.

A run doesn't count on a force play, no matter where the runner is when player crosses home.

Based on the info provided I'd say the ruling = cheater. This is 8U coach pitch. Does it really matter who wins?
No umpires. Coaches umpire. 5 pitches, swinging strikes.

The standard house rule i followed. I instructed my batter/runner to keep running as he rounded second to third as the ball was still in outfield. From my location i could not see that the pitcher caught it in the circle as he was past halfway. They're supposed to stay in the circle and then it's over. Even though he ran after the runner he's out, no question. Im not even suggesting he isn't out. I even explained the rule to the coach as a reminder before the 9th batter hit. Over if their coaches questioned why my runner kept running to third and why i told him to run. I told him because he was supposed to (play alive)

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2018
The whole point is that i play to teach my kids and to learn. Having fun is important. It wasn't really the coaches from they other team, just the score keeper. The score keeper was hollering we cheated after the handshake line. That's my gripe, i know we played fair and if there is an issue im always willing to chat with the coach and make sure things are fair. It sucks that we don't have an umpire and that coaches make the rulings on the field.

Feb 19, 2016
Texas
No umpires. Coaches umpire. 5 pitches, swinging strikes.

This is the problem. No umpire.

You're the one that actually got cheated. It should have been dead ball when the pitcher had possession on the mound. Your runner should have been sent to the base he was closest to when that happened. The tag should not have counted.

Mar 6, 2018
This is the problem. No umpire.

You're the one that actually got cheated. It should have been dead ball when the pitcher had possession on the mound. Your runner should have been sent to the base he was closest to when that happened. The tag should not have counted.
Yeah having no umpires sucks. To be honest if the pitcher catches the ball in the circle he isn't supposed to run to make tags unless he's willing to concede the kill part of the play. In the first inning that happened. He caught the ball in circle as he was running. Never stopped and tried to chase the runner from third to home. Run should have scored for us but i sent our runner back to third and explained to the kid in allstars that run would have counted. He caught it in circle when the runner was less than halfway to home. I didn't want to push the issue and make it a teaching lesson. Those things don't get remembered i guess.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28