Velo difference throwing from feet compared to knees?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
The only metric should be pop time. Traditionally, the pitch location dictates the type of throw down. Low pitches, throw from knees. If the pitch brings the glove up, then throw from feet. A knee throw from a low pitch should be faster than throwing from the feet on the same pitch.

I'd be really surprised if the velocity is much different between the throws, release time, as indicated by Eric F, is the major difference.

I'm not sure what is meant by the bold. I have no issues with her pop time. I can see how it may be misleading because it is posted in the Catching forum but catcher is the only position that routinely throws from their knees. DD has a very strong arm but she loses a lot of velo throwing from her knees, at least IMO. I am just trying to figure out if keeping the same velo throwing from the feet compared to the knees is asking for to much or if it is obtainable.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I'm not sure what is meant by the bold. I have no issues with her pop time. I can see how it may be misleading because it is posted in the Catching forum but catcher is the only position that routinely throws from their knees. DD has a very strong arm but she loses a lot of velo throwing from her knees, at least IMO. I am just trying to figure out if keeping the same velo throwing from the feet compared to the knees is asking for to much or if it is obtainable.

What he means is, whatever method gets the ball from catcher to the fielder in the shortest amount of overall time is the best. This factors in all parts of the action - transfer, throwing mechanics, and velocity.

IMO, if the player's knee throwing mechanics are good, the velocity should be fairly close, but I think throwing from the feet will typically have a slight edge.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
IMO, if the player's knee throwing mechanics are good, the velocity should be fairly close, but I think throwing from the feet will typically have a slight edge.[/QUOTE]

I thought the same thing.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 1, 2016
Late to the discussion, but yes, I’ve measured every aspect of these. DD has avg release of .70 from knees and .75 from feet. Overhand velo is 54 from knees and 56 from feet. That makes pop time 1.81 from knees and 1.82 from feet. So, not much difference in a controlled environment.

Now, throw in game situations and you get bigger differences. If a pitch is in the dirt, she has to block it and then pick it up and throw it. That makes it a ton slower. If the pitch is way wide or high, then the throw is from the feet but may be high because she stood up too much instead of staying low and now the runner is safe because the SS couldn’t get the tag down in time. So we do the best we can to simulate those in practice, but to be honest I’ve never timed the parts of her throw in those wonky situations. Just in a controlled environment.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
Late to the discussion, but yes, I’ve measured every aspect of these. DD has avg release of .70 from knees and .75 from feet. Overhand velo is 54 from knees and 56 from feet. That makes pop time 1.81 from knees and 1.82 from feet. So, not much difference in a controlled environment.

Now, throw in game situations and you get bigger differences. If a pitch is in the dirt, she has to block it and then pick it up and throw it. That makes it a ton slower. If the pitch is way wide or high, then the throw is from the feet but may be high because she stood up too much instead of staying low and now the runner is safe because the SS couldn’t get the tag down in time. So we do the best we can to simulate those in practice, but to be honest I’ve never timed the parts of her throw in those wonky situations. Just in a controlled environment.

Awesome..... thanks for the info Tex!

May 6, 2015
I think catchers should learn both. DD is working on throwing from knees now, had a play last night where she did it in game, it was as described above, pitcher in the dirt she went down to block, picked up ball and threw. Did not get runner, but if she went to stand up, she would have had no chance (and probably would not even have thrown).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802