Velo difference throwing from feet compared to knees?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
Has anyone measured the two?

I know that throwing from the feet will yield faster results. I am trying to figure out what is an acceptable deviation between the two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I've never actually taken measurements comparing the two, but I tend to look at a bigger picture when it comes to catcher throws. Throwing velocity is often not as important as release time.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
I've never actually taken measurements comparing the two, but I tend to look at a bigger picture when it comes to catcher throws. Throwing velocity is often not as important as release time.

Is there a difference in release times between the two?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Is there a difference in release times between the two?

In my observations, it varies by player. Players who struggle with slow feet may get better results from their knees. However, poor knee throwing mechanics might cause other issues with velocity and accuracy. You're best to look at the entire picture - from pop to pop - and figure out what works best for each catcher.

That said, Ideally, we want catchers to be proficient throwing from both knees and feet, and let the situation dictate which mechanics she uses.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
In my observations, it varies by player. Players who struggle with slow feet may get better results from their knees. However, poor knee throwing mechanics might cause other issues with velocity and accuracy. You're best to look at the entire picture - from pop to pop - and figure out what works best for each catcher.

That said, Ideally, we want catchers to be proficient throwing from both knees and feet, and let the situation dictate which mechanics she uses.

Totally agree.

The point behind trying to figure out the deviation between the two is to try and figure out if something mechanically could be going wrong.

When throwing from the knees she loses about 6-7 mph compared to her feet. Which is high to me but I don’t know what the average actually is.

So in short just trying to figure out if she is as efficient as possible with her current mechanics while throwing from the knees.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
At my DD's next game, I'll try to remember to break out my radar for throw-downs. She usually alternates between feet and knees each inning.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
Has anyone measured the two?

I know that throwing from the feet will yield faster results. I am trying to figure out what is an acceptable deviation between the two.

The only metric should be pop time. Traditionally, the pitch location dictates the type of throw down. Low pitches, throw from knees. If the pitch brings the glove up, then throw from feet. A knee throw from a low pitch should be faster than throwing from the feet on the same pitch.

I'd be really surprised if the velocity is much different between the throws, release time, as indicated by Eric F, is the major difference.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The only metric should be pop time. Traditionally, the pitch location dictates the type of throw down. Low pitches, throw from knees. If the pitch brings the glove up, then throw from feet. A knee throw from a low pitch should be faster than throwing from the feet on the same pitch.

I'd be really surprised if the velocity is much different between the throws, release time, as indicated by Eric F, is the major difference.

Agreed - Be good at everything and let the situation dictate the mechanics. (y)

My eyeball radar tells me my DD's knee throw velocity is a little slower than her feet throw velocity. Not a lot, but some.

Jul 14, 2018
She usually alternates between feet and knees each inning.

That's great, I'm totally stealing that. DD doesn't catch anymore, but I get to work with the pitchers & catchers often enough. I'm going to recommend to the catchers that they adopt that (I've never noticed other players doing it).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802