Umpire wearing equipment.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 22, 2016
This past wkend in a tournament the place umpires that were on our field for every game was only wearing a mask and plate shoes.
Each one never had a chest protector or shin guards.
We are a 2nd yr 12u team that was playing up in 14u.

By Them not wearing the necessary equipment is there anyone who thinks that (1) it's unprofessional and (2) that it may hamper their judgement in anyway of making calls on balls and strikes or plays in the field?

Thanks

Jul 22, 2015
We have dealt with that once before as well. I suspect in this case he was also not wearing shin guards. He dodged and moved on every other pitch. Complain to the tournament director. It is unprofessional and the UIC should be informed. There can always be extenuating circumstances, but being properly equipped is part of the job.

Jan 27, 2019
The only required equipment for the plate umpire is the mask with an adequate throat protector (NFHS Rule 10-4-1).
The chest protector is recommended, and I would add the shin guards are an excellent idea. So you can complain about his not wearing proper equipment but if he has a mask and it protects his throat he is legal.

As for the umpire dancing around, the umpire's head should be still when he sees the play on which he is to render judgment. We have all ducked one right at the head and have all been hit square in the face and/or shins, part of the job. Professionally you accept that you are going to get hit and it's going to hurt. You have to learn to stand steady as possible and make the proper call.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
By Them not wearing the necessary equipment is there anyone who thinks that (1) it's unprofessional and (2) that it may hamper their judgement in anyway of making calls on balls and strikes or plays in the field?

Personally I think they are insane and I know there is NO WAY I am not going out there without ALL my gear, but as others have stated, only the mask with some covered throat protection is required.

I do know a few local guys that go out without chest protectors especially in younger age groups but none without shin guards; I did see some no shin-guards in Tennessee last year (and those guys had bigger issues than no shin-guards).

In my experience you get hit in the skin guards more than anywhere else. Other areas are about the same regularly - shoulders, mask, 'cup'. Very rarely you get hit in the chest area.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
In this case, I could care less about how unprofessional they look, that takes a backseat to their sheer stupidity! I've seen umps, very professional and very properly kitted up umps get drilled, and hurt, in every part of the body that could possibly get hit. In this sport it happens, why in the world would anyone take a chance on getting hurt when they have the means to protect
themselves?

But, if they want to take a chance on getting hit, oh well. The bad part is they're doing a disservice to both teams by not being able to get themselves in the proper position to call balls and strikes, instead of dancing around behind the plate!

May 29, 2015
As an umpire ... uh, dare I say “as a good umpire”? ... you learn to position yourself out of the line of fire (“work the slot”) and you learn to rely on your gear to take hits.

Building up those “nerves” to stand still and let the ball hit you is not easy, but it is the safest thing to do. When you start dodging, ducking, dipping, diving, and dodging is when you expose yourself and get hurt.

That said, on extremely hot days with lower caliber games I will forgo my chest protector. Maybe not the best idea, but I weigh that risk against heat stroke.

Is it unprofessional? I would say at face value, no ... but you may not be wrong. I’d bet there are other factors that made you think that and this one certainly didn’t help the umpires’ causes.

Mar 1, 2013
When calling fast pitch, I wear all of the gear regardless of level. When I was very new, I wore all of the gear but hadn't conditioned myself to take the hit. One one occasion, I tried to move out of the way, and as "The Man In Blue" stated - opened myself up. Took a bouncing pitch to the temple. It was a painful lesson, but I stay in and let the gear do the job now.

Jan 22, 2011
My favorite was a 12u fall ball tournament two years ago when on the third batter we realized the umpire had forgotten to put on his face mask.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478