Travel Ball is Killing Rec Ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
The statement alone shows you don’t know about offensive line play. Everyone in the trenches is big and strong technique wins every time. You have zero chance at survival though if you don’t have the size. The technique can be taught.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I never said it doesn't take skill to be a good O-lineman..only that it takes less skill than a QB...do you disagree?

Jan 7, 2019
Softball is a skill sport, and while athleticism/size do matter, it is not the same as taking an athletic big guy and making him a lineman. They didn't try and make you a QB did they, which would be sort of the equivalent in football regarding skill development....

The PGF program listed the roster with their college and almost every girl there was committed to a D1 school. Some rosters had 20 kids all 20 power-5 committed.
Conversely, take any HSFB national champion in the last 20 years. On avg they roster 80 kids and 15% play D1, 8% power-5, overall 25% play in college at some level. Whereas the top 20 teams at PGF 95+% are going on to play in college. Travel dominates the softball landscape.

Mar 21, 2019
So your travel softball team won’t let her play both either.

Mar 21, 2019
I never said it doesn't take skill to be a good O-lineman..only that it takes less skill than a QB...do you disagree?

Yeah equal amounts of skill just two completely different skill sets.

Jun 8, 2016
Yeah equal amounts of skill just two completely different skill sets.

Certainly different skillsets and I would argue that the ones a QB must master take a lot longer to do so but whatever. Not worth my time arguing with you about it. At the end of the day, if you want your DD to continue to play softball and have fun it sounds like you will have to figure something out that doesn't involve rec.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
There are many different types of travel organizations out there. And different players have different goals. My DD's goal ended up being college ball, but that really wasn't a goal of hers until she was about 14. Before that her goal was to play for the high school team as a freshman. Some of her friends had goals of playing at big D1 schools. Some played travel simply to gain more experience and hopefully playing time for their high school teams. Some played just because they enjoyed the game. It is very important to find a team that suits the abilities and goals of each player. It is not one size fits all.

Mar 21, 2019
Certainly different skillsets and I would argue that the ones a QB must master take a lot longer to do so but whatever. Not worth my time arguing with you about it. At the end of the day, if you want your DD to continue to play softball and have fun it sounds like you will have to figure something out that doesn't involve rec.

I’m just a dumb lineman. She’ll suck it up and chase balls in rec I guess she don’t know which one she wants to concentrate on yet.

Jun 8, 2016
she don’t know which one she wants to concentrate on yet.

Nor should she..she is 10. Not sure what state you are in, but most states have a fastpitch page which posts openings for TB teams. There has to be one which is above "glorified rec" which will allow your DD to play basketball and softball.

Jun 8, 2016
So your travel softball team won’t let her play both either.

If this was for me, then I haven't asked. She would probably end up missing half her games for both teams since tournaments are both in the summer which isn't really fair for either team. Like I said, at her age in basketball I can work with her on her skillset, along with taking her to the local rec center to play with boys, to get to the point where she will be good enough to have to make a decision later on down the road. In softball there are certain things I can work with her on her own, but the one thing I cannot do is provide quality pitching for her to face which was the main reason I moved her out of rec.

Nov 18, 2013
You can look at just about any D1 D11 DIII NAIA roster, click on BIO and most of them will list what club the player was with. College coaches don't go to HS games, so unless you are on a club team that goes to the showcases these college coaches attend, how will they know they even exist let alone be recruited?

Sure, you can attend camps and never play on a travel team and be seen, but D1 coaches have told me to my face we do not offer anyone unless we have seen them bat live. So, where are these coaches going to see the non-travel girl bat against a real pitcher? You think a talented athlete who never played travel ball will be able to hit a 65 mph fastball? Come on. My kid was just at a DIII camp and the best of the best was there. National clubs from CA to TX to GA to NJ. The best rec player in my state could have batted for 100 years and not made contact off any of these girls.

Coaches do show up at HS games. Usually to watch players they’re already recruiting, but I’ve seen several just observing in general. State HS tourneys usually have a decent showing of coaches.

“Best of the best” isn’t often associated with a D3 camp. I don’t doubt they were very good, but I think teams like OU and UCLA recruits when talking best of the best.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478