Tincher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 19, 2018
My 9 year old DD started with a Tincher in Dec. She has improved a fair bit with limited time outside of a mostly once a week 45 minute lesson (we've missed several weeks for a variety of reasons). I agree with the whole idea that certification does not guarantee that the coach is great or even good. But it does give confidence that the coach knows what to teach. Again, not that they teach it well.

Long story short, I took my DD to 2 different coaches who taught palm down (she imeediately loved one of them), the 2nd even telling me that she me she taught palm up and shared video to confirm what we were talking about. Add the time spent emailing, trading voice mails and discussions with other pitching coaches to filter down to ones I wanted to try and it was a time consuming and frustrating process.

So, for me, it very nice to know going into lessons that you'll be going in the correct direction.

cmn

Apr 6, 2017
Went to Dd first lesson. That was a shock to her style. I think she hates it but I can see the reward if she can stick with it. I'd
say her accuracy will suffer for awhile. I'll let it sink in and we'll give give it another try tomorrow. Strangely enough you won't believe
were she was working out at. It's a big old wharehouse in ft Wayne. He showed us this little contraption and after she used it he said yea they
make them upstairs in this building. Queen of the hill! Lol, it's a lot smaller than I envisioned. I do like it.

Aug 12, 2014
Buffalo, NY
I have heard of a Tincher instructor in the Vancouver, Canada region who is very secretive about what she teaches. She requires students/parents to sign a contract stating that they cannot tell anyone what they are being taught or change instructors. Does anyone know any truth to this? This doesn't sound like a Tincher thing but rather an instructor thing if it is true.

Side note: I had trained with Tincher awhile ago. I didn't finish my certification. I'm sure a lot has changed since then. He mostly focused on the glove movement and "princess" snap, but overall nothing different than what I see in this forum.

Apr 6, 2017
Our instructor is cool. He let us bring a college pitcher with us that works
with Dd daughter. He did say we can video Dd doing drills but we can’t video
him talking. I guess the princess snap will be the hardest thing to get the hang
of. Using the 2 seam grip for her main grip wasn’t going over well either. I will
say, even through she was all over the place. She landed a few nice hard throws
that had some crazy movement with the 2 seam.

Jun 12, 2015
They're pretty quiet about what they teach until you're a paying student, IME. No pictures, no video, etc. I think it's because they want to protect their "product."

Oct 4, 2018
Went to Dd first lesson. That was a shock to her style. I think she hates it but I can see the reward if she can stick with it. I'd
say her accuracy will suffer for awhile. I'll let it sink in and we'll give give it another try tomorrow. Strangely enough you won't believe
were she was working out at. It's a big old wharehouse in ft Wayne. He showed us this little contraption and after she used it he said yea they
make them upstairs in this building. Queen of the hill! Lol, it's a lot smaller than I envisioned. I do like it.

My DD is 9 and has had three lessons now with a Tincher-certified PC.

There is certainly a learning curve. Her previous PC was good and while he didn't use the terms Internal Rotation and such, he didn't teach counter to those ideas.

My daughter had a pretty nice fastball before the Tincher lessons. Enough that we were spending more time on the change-up as we prepared for Spring 10U tournaments. After the first Tincher lesson, we had to back off the change-up and focus on the Tincher piece.

My long-winded reply is that after 3 lessons and probably 20 sessions with dad/me, she's at a better place with her fastball than she was going into the lessons. It feels faster (who really knows, but others have noticed and commented too) and her accuracy is better. She's getting more "easy to follow" direction and the Tincher drills and teachings seem more black and white to me, and I can more easily help her because it's clear to me what's right and wrong.

Bottom line: Stick with it and I think it'll pay off soon.

Oct 4, 2018
him talking. I guess the princess snap will be the hardest thing to get the hang
of. Using the 2 seam grip for her main grip wasn’t going over well either. I will

Hah!

After our second lesson, the instructor came to me and said "that went really well". I said "I'm a dad, if they're not all strikes then it looks pretty lousy to me." I said this with a huge grin and a wink, but man. That second lesson she was spraying balls to the right, left, high. Ugh, it was ugly stuff.

Apr 6, 2017
I really want her to like it. Yesterday she pitched with her college pitcher/coach. They always have fun and I'm pretty sure she likes
the Tincher style for Dd. Dd is going to start doing drills in the basement today. She has a rec tryout Saturday and she said she's going to
look like "trash". I told her that may not be a bad thing. Lol

Jul 27, 2015

A few things on our experience with Tincher and the 2 seam.

Our first Tincher instructor wanted her to throw 2 seam. My daughter had zero control. We finally said no. The instructor did not care and let us throw 4 seam. The way I see it, 2 or 4 seam has no bearing on form and technique. Whether she throws 2 or 4 seam does not matter on leg drive or arm path. It sure made a difference on whether she could throw a strike, though.

We just started seeing another Tincher instructor. He also does not care if she throws 2 or 4 seam. He had her try the 2 seam, but he had her hold it in a different spot on the ball. What a huge difference that made. My daughter now has some control with it. It frightens me to no end trying to catch it because it will do the craziest things the way it moves, and I never know where it will go. The new instructor suggested throwing the 2 seamer with the count was 0-2. My daughter is at least trying it now during our own practice time now since she has some control. She gets up to 1 mph more with the 2 seam.

Apr 6, 2017
I will talk to our instructor about grips next time. Dd started pitching with
a 2 seam. She improved accuracy big time when she switched to the 4 seam.
I think if he’ll let her go to a more familiar grip she'll settle down. 4 seam always
was her fastest. I need to get the radar on her soon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee