Throwing BP overhand

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 19, 2016
I was wondering what everyone thinks about throwing BP to DD overhand as opposed to underhand. Is it good, bad, or indifferent? I can't throw with any speed or accuracy underhand even moving in closer...overhand I can spot it accuratley and at a much greater velocity. This would only be extra BP, not with her team where they hit live pitching and off pitching machines.

Thanks

Jun 8, 2016
I was wondering what everyone thinks about throwing BP to DD overhand as opposed to underhand. Is it good, bad, or indifferent? I can't throw with any speed or accuracy underhand even moving in closer...overhand I can spot it accuratley and at a much greater velocity. This would only be extra BP, not with her team where they hit live pitching and off pitching machines.

Thanks
You cannot sit on a bucket/chair from 15 feet away and throw strikes? Also being a little wild isn't necessarily a bad thing..as long as you are not nailing her every 2 pitches :). To answer your question I guess throwing overhand would be better than nothing but I would explore every other avenue first if possible. If you have to throw overhand I would do it from a bucket.

Jan 28, 2017
How old is your DD? I know a few girls that have only played baseball until around 11 and they are pretty dang good. Of course they were good and that's why they played baseball to begin with. One kid is 10 and plays rec baseball and travel softball. Plays SS for both. LOL. I think once she gets older you would need to pitch underhand but really have know clue.

Last edited:
May 16, 2016
Are you throwing in a cage with a screen? If yes, get a bucket to sit on behind screen about 15 feet away, and short toss it underhand. You will get the hang of it quickly enough. Overhand throw is no good IMHO.

Oct 4, 2018
Practice, practice, practice.

I went from horrible to being able to throw with a full windmill motion. It'll help your daughter/team if you learn this. If you want your DD to get better, you gotta put in some time and get better too. :)

Sep 29, 2014
and this is why even though I was only ever just OK I taught myself to pitch. Who is throwing live pitching practice? This is the other reason I pitched, I was wearing out my girls and reenforcing bad habits (just get it over strikes). You can't throw overhand because I think it is negative training as far as release point goes rotation movement etc. With any athletic prowess at all you should be able to from 15 to 20 feet standing behind a net do fairly well and if you are just looking for extra reps that should be fine....I also took DD to the batting cage once a week.

Jul 29, 2013

Thanks
I threw underhand from 20 to 25 feet for years to mine and it really hurt her ability to judge pitches from regulation distance. The ball travels a different arch when pitched slower from closer. From closeup, a slow pitch falls more per foot of lateral travel than a faster pitch from a greater distance. Girls who hit lots of front toss typically miss under the ball because they expect it to fall more than a faster game pitch. If all you can do is throw overhand, do it from regulation distance and maybe kneel to simulate the release point. I believe the distance and the speed are the most critical aspects....simulating the trajectory and natural arch the ball makes on its flight...you know gravity and 32ft/sec/sec.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12