Throat Guards

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
My DD is the one in Red (catching ball in last pic)....as you can see we use the throat guard; I think initially b/c Little League requires it. But haven't given much thought to it since we started using it a few years ago.

Looking at the rest of the sample pics you can see some use the guard....some don't.

What are your thoughts? Has it been determined not to be necessary with the hockey style mask?

Just looking for some conversation on this topic.

Thanks in advance,

T

c1.jpg

c2.jpg

c3.jpg

c4.jpg

c5.jpg

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
I personally don't like them (with the new hockey style masks) because I think they can inhibit the catcher from dropping their chin when blocking. I teach my catchers to see the ball into the block, dropping the chin and using the mask to protect the throat. Those guards can get hung up on the chest protector, and actually leave them more vulnerable.

It's the same thing with the "nugget guard" on the boys chest protectors. The kind that aren't removable just get in the way and actually open up more gaps where the catcher can get hit.

Oct 23, 2013
Chicagoland
DD just got a new helmet that came with one of these and didn't like the way it looked and took it off right away.

Her old borrowed helmet didn't have one and most girls I see catching don't wear one.

She too has been taught to drop chin to protect throat.
Just make sure the chest protector is properly adjusted so there isn't a large gap between the bottom of chin and top of protector.
Eric F pointed this out to me after seeing some pictures of DD in Action pose thread.

Although I recently told her to wear it, I've changed my mine based on your post Josh. (saves me a battle with the DD too!)

Thanks

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2010
NJ
The softball being bigger has a harder time getting into that spot so I don't see it as being as important in SB.

If you daughter is the one in red in the last picture I'd be more worried about that right hand with those fingers all splayed, just asking for a foul tip to ruin her day.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
If you daughter is the one in red in the last picture I'd be more worried about that right hand with those fingers all splayed, just asking for a foul tip to ruin her day.

Oh Yeah!...We looked at it too, and discussed it.

She thinks she was starting her grab and throw move. She's not too comfortable putting the fist behind the mitt just yet; so we think she was bringing her hand up at this point.

This pic is where she regularly places her throwing hand. But thanks for the observation and advice.

DSC_0842.jpg

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
I personally don't like them (with the new hockey style masks) because I think they can inhibit the catcher from dropping their chin when blocking....Those guards can get hung up on the chest protector, and actually leave them more vulnerable.

Hogwash. Show us an example of a correctly installed throat protector doing this.

The new masks don't protect as well as you might think. Saw a girl take one to the throat last year. She had on a hockey style mask and no dangling protector. The ball was fouled off the plate and bounced up so quick she did not have time to react. Hit her directly in the throat and dropped her like a ton of bricks.

With that said, it's up to each individual on how much protective gear they wish to wear. It's out there if they want it.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Although my DD doesn't wear a throat guard, the potential for injury exists. My DD had a similar situation to smddad's description. Thankfully, it didn't catch her square on the front of the throat.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
Does anyone feel this chest protector hangs down too much? To me, there appears to be too much unprotected area.

I noticed that earlier. Then I went at looked at my DD's pictures. Her's, too, was hanging a bit too far down. Your DD's throat guard also appears too low. It should be as high as possible without restricting it to swing.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812