Thoughts or Suggestions 2nd year 8u DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 28, 2017
I wouldn't change a thing! As she grows and gets stronger, those groundballs and small linedrives will turn into rockets to the gap or fence. Keep doing what you're doing and enjoy every minute of it.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Bat may be a little big or her hands not strong enough. At 8u, she is using her torso. You are halfway home. Justin Stone drill. Throw bats. She doing great.

Oct 2, 2017
Bat may be a little big or her hands not strong enough. At 8u, she is using her torso. You are halfway home. Justin Stone drill. Throw bats. She doing great.
I there is definitely a strength issue. If she swings a lighter bat some if the issues she has goes away. I was thinking of telling he to choke up some. Would practice with a heavy bat help with strength or does that have a negative effect on mechanics because she would have to use different mechanics to get the bat going if that makes sense?

May 12, 2016
I there is definitely a strength issue. If she swings a lighter bat some if the issues she has goes away. I was thinking of telling he to choke up some. Would practice with a heavy bat help with strength or does that have a negative effect on mechanics because she would have to use different mechanics to get the bat going if that makes sense?
Overloading and Underloading(not sure if these are the correct terms) is a common practice to help increase bat speed. Basically swing 10 with a light bat, 10 with a heavy bat, and 10 with your regular bat. Each time the goal is to attempt to match the speed of the light bat. This is just an example of using a heavy bat to increase bat speed, but it should be paired with an under weighted bat as well. I am only going by memory, so the number of swings and order they order go in might make a big difference.

Oct 2, 2017
Overloading and Underloading(not sure if these are the correct terms) is a common practice to help increase bat speed. Basically swing 10 with a light bat, 10 with a heavy bat, and 10 with your regular bat. Each time the goal is to attempt to match the speed of the light bat. This is just an example of using a heavy bat to increase bat speed, but it should be paired with an under weighted bat as well. I am only going by memory, so the number of swings and order they order go in might make a big difference.

This reminds me of drops sets when strength training with weights. You start light go up to a certain weight per reps/sets, and then go the opposite way back down to original weight for the same amount of reps.

Oct 2, 2017
But if the bat is so heavy it's screwing up her form, not sure that's good either

That was a concern of mine as well. What is your opinion on bat weights likeAmazon product ASIN B008X5R3PY
That way you can scale the weight up more proportionally. As a gradual overload. So it would be for example. T-ball bat - 10 swing, regular bat - 10 swings, Bat with weight - 10 swings. then the opposite direction ending with the t-ball bat.

May 12, 2016
That was a concern of mine as well. What is your opinion on bat weights likeAmazon product ASIN B008X5R3PY
That way you can scale the weight up more proportionally. As a gradual overload. So it would be for example. T-ball bat - 10 swing, regular bat - 10 swings, Bat with weight - 10 swings. then the opposite direction ending with the t-ball bat.
Not sure off top of my head and I don't want to give you bad information, I would google it, sorry

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The problem with choking up with a heavier bat is that the hands and body still have to support moving that weight around. The "swing weight" is less when you choke up, but the static weight is not. If the heavier bat is causing problems with her mechanics, it's too heavy. I'm a fan of heavier bats for training purposes, but only for hitters who have established a good swing pattern. 8yos aren't usually in that group.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478