Things College Softball Announcers Can Quit Saying

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Are you seriously crying about the regional draw of a team that finished 6th place in their league?
Oregon State finished 6th in the Pac, they didn't get berth
Duke finished 6th in the ACC, how's their regional draw?
That Florida not only made the playoffs after finishing 6th in league but is gostibg a regional is proof of bias for the gators

Seriously you are misreading me... Florida got the best possible draw. Totally points to making sure they have the easiest run in.

Jun 8, 2016
Seriously you are misreading me... Florida got the best possible draw. Totally points to making sure they have the easiest run in.
I don't really care one way or the other about Florida but can you explain your reasoning for why the NCAA would supposedly favor Florida? Do their fans travel well, watch more games etc? Does Walton have dirty pictures of the NCAA heads? I am just trying to figure out what reason they would have? It reminds me of people always complaining that the Patriots get the benefit of the doubt in any and all officiating calls...

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I don't really care one way or the other about Florida but can you explain your reasoning for why the NCAA would supposedly favor Florida? Do their fans travel well, watch more games etc? Does Walton have dirty pictures of the NCAA heads? I am just trying to figure out what reason they would have? It reminds me of people always complaining that the Patriots get the benefit of the doubt in any and all officiating calls...
For the NCAA it is all about the rating$. Back in the day when Shock Jock Howard Stern was getting started they found that his fans listened for an avarage of an hour each day. Conversely those who hated his guts listened for 2 hours. I submit the same applies to Florida. Everyone has their favorites but for some, myself included favor anyone but Florida. Why? Just spend a game behind the backstop in Gainesville and you will have your answer. I have been to every SEC softball venue with the exception of 2 and they are hands down the most obnoxious softball fans in the SEC.

Jun 8, 2016
For the NCAA it is all about the rating$.
Ok that makes sense then. I was just looking for a logical reason why they would want to favor Florida. I know nothing about the various obnoxious ratings of various college softball fan bases ;)

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
one of the announcers (can't remember name, young ex-player though....)
says at least once every game,
"so-and-so prides herself on..." (FillInTheBlanK)

it's not an incorrect phrase,
but the repetitive use just bothers me, is all.

J.Galt

Banned
Feb 8, 2019
I had just looked at it.

How does a team that took 6th in their own conference get to host a regional? What a crock
The gators should be on the road. This is just more espn/sec shenanigans, it happens in every sport the eastern seaboard propaganda network wants to televise

J.Galt

Banned
Feb 8, 2019
For the NCAA it is all about the rating$. Back in the day when Shock Jock Howard Stern was getting started they found that his fans listened for an avarage of an hour each day. Conversely those who hated his guts listened for 2 hours. I submit the same applies to Florida. Everyone has their favorites but for some, myself included favor anyone but Florida. Why? Just spend a game behind the backstop in Gainesville and you will have your answer. I have been to every SEC softball venue with the exception of 2 and they are hands down the most obnoxious softball fans in the SEC.

For better or worse, college softball, the playoffs especially, are controlled by the evil 4 letter from Bristol. That evil 4 letter network has all of their fiancial eggs in the basket of the south eastern conference. The south eastern conference has won 3 titles, 2 of those by florida. So the largest proponent of college softball is financially tied to the success of certain programs in just 1 conference.
Last year must have sucked for espn to have their teams all eliminated by the final 4 even with all the legs up and advantages that ESPN gave them.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
For better or worse, college softball, the playoffs especially, are controlled by the evil 4 letter from Bristol. That evil 4 letter network has all of their fiancial eggs in the basket of the south eastern conference. The south eastern conference has won 3 titles, 2 of those by florida. So the largest proponent of college softball is financially tied to the success of certain programs in just 1 conference.
Last year must have sucked for espn to have their teams all eliminated by the final 4 even with all the legs up and advantages that ESPN gave them.
I would add that I do not think you can discount that the parent company of ESPN is Disney who has a pretty strong presence in FLORIDA. Anything on ESPN that mentions the word Florida is much more desirable for them than Washington, Minnesota, Alabama, Oklahoma, etc. They go to great lengths to promote the State of Florida/Disney. There is a reason they film their Christmas parade months in advance so the weather is always perfect. It is all about perception and Disney has significant influence even over the local media and state politics. If you are a Disney employee they will pay for you to attend UF although it is close to 100 miles away. I suspect that Barnhills exit and hugfest was most likely scripted. There were 5 other Seniors on that team, but Barnhill and Florida was the story.

Consider the fact that the State of Florida lead the way for Concealed Carry and has more permit carriers than any other state. Yet, open carry is not allowed. Disney has come out and stated that they we cannot offend the delicate sensibilities of the tourists form the North. Every time the bill comes up it appears to have wide support, but at the last minute it gets pulled for reasons that are not quite clear. This is only one example. Gambling is almost non-existent when compared to other states. Why, because that is how the mouse wants it and it would cut into their bottom line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802