TheOfficial Stupid Softball Parents Thread

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
It would not have been pretty. Seems like accountability and respect are becoming relics of the past. [MENTION=332]sluggers[/MENTION] you can add SW Orange County Florida as a shining example of places where kids are not allowed to fail and only rarely held accountable for their actions. My TB team is now based on the Space Coast 75 miles away because I will not deal with the entitled brats that seem so typical of where I live. I loved when Jake was at Chipola (FL Panhandle) and South Carolina because with so many kids it was still yes sir, no sir. Met some great "team players" that went on to do very well after softball. In some ways I feel bad for a$$ hat kids because invariably behind each is at least one or more a$$ hat parents like bubba and if the kid is really special an entire a$$ hat family.

Feb 15, 2017
[MENTION=10413]riseball[/MENTION] they are on the West Coast of Florida as well. Dad is a coach so daughter gets extra fielding before games start and hugs the tee bewteen innings. Oh and mom does gamechanger so everything is a hit she touches and all hits she gives up are errors.

Also way too many kids who have little respect for umpires. I saw at least four occasions this week where the pitcher threw her hands up in the air when an outside pitch that got more batters box line than plate was called a ball.

Also heard a dad say that the ump didn't call 12u screw ball because the batter was scared. Batter wasn't scared, just almost got hit by bullet spin fastball that got more batters box than plate.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
This is just awful, on so many levels. It is basketball, but it shows the difficulty of being a youth sports ref/ump. The first quarter isn't even over, one team is down by 22 points. The losing coach starts complaining about a ref's call--as if the ref was the reason his team was getting shelacced. Then, a parent decides to get involved. The ref, fed up with the whole thing, slaps the parent. And, then the parent and his DD jump the coach, and then random people come over to beat on the ref.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
I took a look at the video and will give my opinions as an uninvolved official, for what they are worth.

1) The ref on the right of the screen, who is the one eventually involved in the fight, should have been working to keep the rest of the Baylor team away from the discussion between their coach and the calling ref.

2) While I am not sure who the technical was called on, the second ref should not have been the one to call it, unless it was a bench tech. But then again, if he had been doing what he should have been, the bench would have been under better control and no 'T' would have been needed.

3) Event security/event admin should have been more responsive in being alert and definitely should have been moving in as soon as a spectator came onto the court.

4) The ref NEVER should have thrown a slap/punch, period, full stop.

Conclusion, the referee involved in the physical altercation was in the wrong and created his own issues. This does not excuse the atrocious behavior by ANY of the so-called adults involved from the Baylor staff starting to walk off the court mid-game to the spectator to the officials. Plenty of blame to go around to all involved and I hope that ban that was instituted by Pacers Athletic Center includes ALL involved parties.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I am involved in our multisport league that includes football, baseball, soccer, lacrosse, softball, basketball and soccer. We require all coaches to take the PCA class every 2 years. We have a sportsmanship committee with reps from each sport and I rep the softball program even though I have not had a kid playing softball in 6 years. This week I received an email complaint from the group to respond to an event that involved a basketball asst coach of 7/8 yr olds that included video. The complaint was very long that involved several incidents. The league instituted a house rule that prevents one or two players from dominating the game. Once the player gets 20pts, any points that kid makes will not count. The idea is to get the ball to the rest of the team so they can develop too. Nothing better than dads showcasing their kid by getting 40 pts a game. My kid became nothing more than a screener when she played b'ball. No plays involved her getting the ball unless she gets a rebound. Yes, it happens. This coach believes this rule is only aimed at his kid and is vocal about it.

In the video, there is a stoppage in play because of a foul and the team that fouled left the floor. I can her someone saying that you can't take the player out of the game. The coach comes over to the scoring table and starts mouthing off with F bombs galore. He says he is taking it to the m'fing house, and then fake lunges and fake punches two different people on his way out. One of the refs does the right thing and gets the attention of the kids on the court and says to look at her and to focus her to divert their attention from this dad that is making a huge scene on his way out of the gym. Crazy!!! He also coaches football in the league.

Any guesses what my recommendation was?

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
This is just awful, on so many levels. It is basketball, but it shows the difficulty of being a youth sports ref/ump. The first quarter isn't even over, one team is down by 22 points. The losing coach starts complaining about a ref's call--as if the ref was the reason his team was getting shelacced. Then, a parent decides to get involved. The ref, fed up with the whole thing, slaps the parent. And, then the parent and his DD jump the coach, and then random people come over to beat on the ref.

So the team was leaving. And the ref kept up chirping at the coach. There is no excuse for this fight but from the limited info, it’s the official for once who doesn’t know when to let it go.

Apr 20, 2015
This was in my town and I will agree with Ed that this official escalated instead of de escalating the situation. Certainly absolutely no excuse but something you must learn to be a successful official. This establishment has a reputation for hiring low quality officials as we have played there multiple times and honestly I'm surprised this hasn't happened before now. Again absolutely no excuse for what happened ever but maybe they will finally make some changes up there. I have never seen anyone actually in charge of anything walking around and the even staff usually consists of some kids and the ladies at the concession stand. You Certainly can't easily identify anyone in charge

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
This one pales in comparison to some of the insanity in this thread, but I'm interpreting "stupid" to mean something a bit less than "violent psychopath."

My starting catcher, a junior who has been playing for me since 7th grade, missed opening day on Friday. Her dad wouldn't let her come to the game because it was her brother's birthday. This is explicitly listed in my team rules, which he's agreed to, as the type of absence that would not be excused.

My team rule is that if you have an unexcused absence from a game, you sit the next one. I have a great relationship with this player, and we've already talked and she understands she won't be playing tomorrow unless there's an emergency (I only have two catchers, and I would use her over someone who has never done it because I don't want to put another girl at risk).

One thing I've learned is that parents will often do things that tell you which kid matters more to them, and I'm not sure it's even a conscious thing. Not surprisingly, it's usually the girls that are made out to be less important.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I am involved in our multisport league that includes football, baseball, soccer, lacrosse, softball, basketball and soccer. We require all coaches to take the PCA class every 2 years. We have a sportsmanship committee with reps from each sport and I rep the softball program even though I have not had a kid playing softball in 6 years. This week I received an email complaint from the group to respond to an event that involved a basketball asst coach of 7/8 yr olds that included video. The complaint was very long that involved several incidents. The league instituted a house rule that prevents one or two players from dominating the game. Once the player gets 20pts, any points that kid makes will not count. The idea is to get the ball to the rest of the team so they can develop too. Nothing better than dads showcasing their kid by getting 40 pts a game. My kid became nothing more than a screener when she played b'ball. No plays involved her getting the ball unless she gets a rebound. Yes, it happens. This coach believes this rule is only aimed at his kid and is vocal about it.

Even though we are talking 7-8 year olds, I can understand if a parent doesn't like that 20 points rule. What I can't figure out is why they don't play in a different, more challenging league then? If your kid really is a standout at that young age, and some kids truly are, put them in a league with better competition, and let this developmental league develop the kids.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28